U of Chicago Folk Festival this weekend Feb. 11

  • zeppelinrider
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2012
      There will be several workshops of interest at the U of Chicago Folk Festival this weekend, on Saturday, February 11th involving folks we know including Kate Early, Tom Kastle, Rob Middleton, Gary Plazyk, and Barb Silverman. (Note, room assignments may change)
      http://www.uofcfolk.org/2012/workshops.html

      Location is: Ida Noyes Hall
      1212 E. 59th St.
      Chicago, IL 60637

      Of particular note:

      Hurdy Gurdy
      12:00 - 1:00 PM, Ida Noyes West Lounge
      (Featuring shanty folks Gary Plazyk and Rob Middleton)
      The Midwest Hurdy Gurdy Association will present an overview of this unusual instrument. We'll talk about the hurdy gurdy (sometimes described as a cranked mechanical violin with a keyboard), show how it is played, and perform a variety of music on hurdy gurdies, both alone and in combination with other instruments."

      Love and Death in Multi-Voice Harmony with Kate Early and the Malone Women
      2:00 - 3:00 PM, Ida Noyes Library
      Traditional songs began as the equivalent of the news or even the National Inquirer in lower-tech days of old. Ballads commemorating historic events and interesting local stories have remained in the minds and on the lips of singers for generations, often leafing out into dozens of variants.

      Harmony Singing with Barb Silverman
      2:00 - 3:00 PM, Ida Noyes West Lounge
      Join Barb and the throngs who love singing together. We'll start with simple 2-part songs and work our way to rollicking and haunting 3-part chestnuts in styles from country to blues to swing and novelty. Barb brings decades of acclaimed performing and teaching experience to our fest.

      Sea Shanties with Tom Kastle
      3:00 - 4:30 PM, Ida Noyes West Lounge
      (Folks should come out for this, and show the rest of the workshop attendees how singing along should be done!)
      Join Tom Kastle for a look at traditional sea songs and a capella shanties based on research and his years of being a touring maritime musician and professional tall ship sailor and captain. Tom also teaches the sea music class at the Old Town School of Folk Music.
    • Kate Early
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2012
        Thanks for the post, Kathy!  Actually, times have already changed, at least for my workshop!

        "Songs of Love and Death" will take place at noon - keep an eye on the workshop schedule at 222.uofcfolk.org for updates and more fun facts!

        Kate

        Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened.
        Don't open the door to the study and begin reading.
        Take down a musical instrument.
        Let the beauty we love be what we do.
        There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

        Rumi