1883Re: [chicagoshanties] July Shanty Sing & some announcements

  • Father Olsen
    Jul 16, 2014
      I cant make it. My new parish has a 6 pm sunday Mass, and I'm on for it this weekend.

      Fr Art

      On Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:06 PM, "Bethann Grabelsky bethanngrabelsky@... [chicagoshanties]" <chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I will be there!

      Bethann

      On Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:35 AM, "kwhisler@... [chicagoshanties]" <chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      The Shanty Sing for July will be Sunday, July 20th at The Atlantic Bar & Grill, after a World Cup Soccer related hiatus last month.  Come out and sing shanties, drinking songs, and anything else that we can think of that is sailor-y or references water or the sea, ideally with a chorus we can all sing along with. Musical instruments welcome, too.

      Who: You!

      What: Sing sea shanties in an Irish pub, enjoy your beverage of choice, have a rollicking good time!

      When:
      Sunday, July 20th
      3 pm to 6 pm

      Where:
      The Atlantic Bar & Grill
      5062 N. Lincoln Avenue
      Chicago, Illinois 60625
      773-506-7090
      http://www.theatlanticbar.com

      Other announcements:

      For those planning to attend Bristol Renaissance Faire this summer, the discount coupon code for the shanty group is BRX756.  This is probably late notice (what can I say, I’ve been getting slammed at work) but this weekend is “Swashbuckler weekend” and Bounding Main is performing.  They will be back there again August 9th and 10th.  And of course many shanty sing regulars like the Lauritzen family and John Wholers will be there all summer.

      Rich Price is having a blanket-related problem.  Many generous folks loaned blankets, sleeping bags and towels to help keep the Barbary Ghosts warm during the Maritime Festival in February, but some of them never retrieved their stuff after the festival.  There have been numerous attempts to reach out, including here on the shanty list, and at this point Rich says that if people don’t get in touch with him by Monday July 15th he will donate the rest of what he’s holding onto to charity.  Email him ASAP at: blankets at gandalf.ws to reclaim your stuff.

      How to get to The Atlantic:
      The Atlantic is on Lincoln Ave. in Chicago two and a half blocks south of Foster and about four blocks north of Lawrence, on the northwest corner of Lincoln & Winnemac.   For reference, it is about 3/4 of a mile north of the Old Town School of Folk Music.  Parking is on the street, but you do not need to pay these meters on Sunday.

      By CTA, either take the Brown Line to Western and walk the rest of the way or take the #11 Lincoln bus, or take the Red Line to Foster and then get the #92 Foster bus to Foster & Lincoln-- it is about a fifteen minute ride.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic