[*CCM*] CCM Routes Archive / Maps Retrospective

  • Spencer Thayer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      Andrew has updated his CCM Routes Archive / Maps Retrospective at
      http://bedno.com/ccm . I don't know about you but I use this archive
      as a reference all the time. And it seems like so few of us know that
      this resource even exists. I propose that we add this as an official
      part of the CCM website? Currently there is a link hidden somewhere
      deep on the CCM site but IMO I think it should be visible on the front
      page called "Map Archive." This way new people who have never heard of
      the Chainlink or listserv.uic.edu can discover the rich history of our
      past.

      What say you, Critical Mass nerds?

      Cordially in your face-
      but still cordially,

      Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer!

    • Andrew Bedno
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
        Thanx! It (http://bedno.com/ccm) used to be absent, then buried, but a while ago I made it the top line under the main "Cycling
        Links" tab.
        http://ChicagoCriticalMass.org/links

        Reminded by recent discussions (http://www.thechainlink.org/group/criticalmassdiscussion/forum/topics/postjune-2010-cm-discussion),
        I just added a link under the "Get Involved" page to the formerly buried "compiled route development notes from veterans" page I
        assembled a few months back. Good stuff:
        http://ChicagoCriticalMass.org/routedev

        I've also just now restored the listserv join box (left sidebar), which had somehow disappeared (been set unpublished). I further
        noted that the CCM archive at UIC (http://listserv.uic.edu/htbin/wa?A0=chi-crit-mass) linked from there seems to have gone dead, and

        Finally, proactively, I re-enabled the "Remember: This will go down on your permanent record" / "Warning from the Chicago Police
        Department" sideblock from May 2009.
        http://chicagocriticalmass.org/about/warning-from-police

        Cool? Feedback?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
          Design Nerds,

          The left sidebar of the bikegeeks CCM site is 350 pixels wide.

          A graphic sidebar link to the map archive would be an awesome addition
          to the site, just send me your design as an uncompressed jpeg, and
          I'll place it over the quote box. Don't make the graphic tall, think
          landscape, cinematic, etc.

          Check it:
          http://chicagocriticalmass.org/

          PS. Maybe we can do something better about the police presence on the
          website? I hastily created the "this will go down on your permanent
          record" graphic awhile back with the the Violent Femmes in mind (maybe
          some of our younger viewers don't get the irony?)

          On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Spencer Thayer <me@...> wrote:
          > Sender:       Chicago Critical Mass <CHI-CRIT-MASS@...>
          > Poster:       Spencer Thayer <me@...>
          > Subject:      CCM Routes Archive / Maps Retrospective
          >
          > Andrew has updated his CCM Routes Archive / Maps Retrospective at
          > http://bedno.com/ccm . I don't know about you but I use this archive
          > as a reference all the time. And it seems like so few of us know that
          > this resource even exists. I propose that we add this as an official
          > part of the CCM website? Currently there is a link hidden somewhere
          > deep on the CCM site but IMO I think it should be visible on the front
          > page called "Map Archive." This way new people who have never heard of
          > the Chainlink or listserv.uic.edu can discover the rich history of our
          > past.
          >
          > What say you, Critical Mass nerds?
          >
          > Cordially in your face-
          > but still cordially,
          >
          > Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer!

        • Jerome Hughes
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
            Steven--

            Sent a graphic assembled from the most recent maps on the archive, fwiw,
            copied you as guessed attachments were stripped by the listserv, resent this
            to listserv without the attachment once that was confirmed. What do you
            think?

            Also, understand what you're getting at on the VF quote, perhaps it could be
            noted with quote marks around and an asterisk after the text and a tiny "*
            Kiss Off, Gordon Gano, The Violent Femmes" linking to
            http://www.vfemmes.com/ below the graphic? Or were you figuring a new
            graphic was in order?

            Possibly of more concern is the "GOOD ADVICE FROM COPWATCH.ORG" on the page
            it leads to, some of which may now be dated and so not "good advice" in view
            of the (imo very sad) IL law making it felonius to record an officer in the
            line of duty, correct?

            thx & hth,

            --Jerome