Re: [*CCM*] in search of bike with flip flop hub/Bike Repair

  • elliott hicks
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 8:46 AM
      i have the motobecane messenger from bikesdirect.com and it is a great
      bike. it comes with everything you will need including brakes and it
      is incredibly easy to alter. the only problem is that it has a bad
      saddle and the wheels are very fragile. i added a brooks saddle and
      some velocity deep v's (stereotypically) and the bike is great. the
      steal frame makes it smooth on the cracked chicago streets. also
      bikes direct has added a bunch of other track bikes so look into those
      as well.

      good luck
      elliott

      On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Jon Bruno <jonathan.c.bruno@...> wrote:
      > Harry,
      > Check out bikesdirect.com. Many many people have had great luck with
      > the Mercier Kilo TT, which is now being sold with brakes for 400 I
      > beleive.
      >
      > -Jon
      >

      > On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:37 PM, Harry Keyes <bassguitarguy12@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> I posted a couple of days ago about looking for a place to learn the
      >> mechanics stuff. I thought i would post that i decided to go with
      >> working bikes mechanics classes.
      >> Second, if anyone is selling any kind of bike with a flip/flop hub
      >> within the price range of roughly three to four hundred dollars,
      >> please feel free to contact me. I'm looking for more of a track bike
      >> set-up over a conversion though. Thanks!
      >> Harrison

      >> .

      Elliott Hicks

    • Spencer Thayer
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 9:14 AM
        Elliot, try your local Graigslist. I put the feed into Google reader and
        then search it for keywords. There are all sorts of tricks to find what you
        want fast. Here are a couple you may be interested in....

        http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/1670961204.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/1670961204.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670956574.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670956574.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670639583.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670639583.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/1670236261.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/1670236261.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670106690.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670106690.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670304533.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1670304533.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1669354946.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1669354946.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1669289477.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1669289477.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1669188824.html
        <http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1669188824.html>
        http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1669187039.html

        Cordially in your face-
        but still cordially,

        Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer!

        On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:46 AM, elliott hicks <yithicks@...> wrote:

        > i have the motobecane messenger from bikesdirect.com and it is a great
        > bike. it comes with everything you will need including brakes and it
        > is incredibly easy to alter. the only problem is that it has a bad
        > saddle and the wheels are very fragile. i added a brooks saddle and
        > some velocity deep v's (stereotypically) and the bike is great. the
        > steal frame makes it smooth on the cracked chicago streets. also
        > bikes direct has added a bunch of other track bikes so look into those
        > as well.
        >
        > good luck
        > elliott
        >

        > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Jon Bruno <jonathan.c.bruno@...>
        > wrote:
        > > Harry,
        > > Check out bikesdirect.com. Many many people have had great luck with
        > > the Mercier Kilo TT, which is now being sold with brakes for 400 I
        > > beleive.
        > >
        > > -Jon
        > >

        > > On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:37 PM, Harry Keyes <bassguitarguy12@...>
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > >> I posted a couple of days ago about looking for a place to learn the
        > >> mechanics stuff. I thought i would post that i decided to go with
        > >> working bikes mechanics classes.
        > >> Second, if anyone is selling any kind of bike with a flip/flop hub
        > >> within the price range of roughly three to four hundred dollars,
        > >> please feel free to contact me. I'm looking for more of a track bike
        > >> set-up over a conversion though. Thanks!
        > >> Harrison

        > >> please contact the CHI-CRIT-MASS list managers at:
        > CHI-CRIT-MASS-request@...
        > >> .

        > > please contact the CHI-CRIT-MASS list managers at:
        > CHI-CRIT-MASS-request@....
        > >

        > --
        > Elliott Hicks

        > please contact the CHI-CRIT-MASS list managers at:
        > CHI-CRIT-MASS-request@....

      • Greg Davies
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 10:58 AM
          Can someone please explain why the aluminum frames are worse off for
          the rider on rough streets? Get as technical as you like.

          Thanks!
          Greg

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 1, 2010, at 10:46 AM, elliott hicks <yithicks@...> wrote:

          > i have the motobecane messenger from bikesdirect.com and it is a great
          > bike. it comes with everything you will need including brakes and it
          > is incredibly easy to alter. the only problem is that it has a bad
          > saddle and the wheels are very fragile. i added a brooks saddle and
          > some velocity deep v's (stereotypically) and the bike is great. the
          > steal frame makes it smooth on the cracked chicago streets. also
          > bikes direct has added a bunch of other track bikes so look into those
          > as well.
          >
          > good luck
          > elliott
          >

          > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Jon Bruno
          > <jonathan.c.bruno@...> wrote:
          >> Harry,
          >> Check out bikesdirect.com. Many many people have had great luck with
          >> the Mercier Kilo TT, which is now being sold with brakes for 400 I
          >> beleive.
          >>
          >> -Jon
          >>

          >> On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:37 PM, Harry Keyes <bassguitarguy12@...>
          >> wrote:
          >>
          >>> I posted a couple of days ago about looking for a place to learn the
          >>> mechanics stuff. I thought i would post that i decided to go with
          >>> working bikes mechanics classes.
          >>> Second, if anyone is selling any kind of bike with a flip/flop hub
          >>> within the price range of roughly three to four hundred dollars,
          >>> please feel free to contact me. I'm looking for more of a track bike
          >>> set-up over a conversion though. Thanks!
          >>> Harrison

          >>> .

          >> .
          >>

          > --
          > Elliott Hicks

          > .

        • GJValent
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 11:17 AM
            Aluminum frames are generally stiffer than steel frames.

            I hope that's technical enough.

            Mettle to Metal,

            Greg Valent

          • Jon Bruno
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1 11:18 AM
              The way I understand it is that the aluminum used with bikes, compared
              to steel, has less flex in it, thus creating a harsher ride. The steel
              is less stiff, allowing it to absorb some of the road imperfections.

              I run a carbon fork on my fixie - I understand that carbon can be even
              more flexable than steel at times. When riding on really bad roads,
              the front does get a little wild at times - especially down wells from
              Lincoln to the loop.

              Hope this helps

              -Jon

            • John Stoner
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1 11:26 AM
                I hear they're also more brittle, and more susceptible to corrosion from
                salt and stuff. But I don't know if they'd fail in twenty-five years instead
                of fifty or what.

                --
                blogs:
                http://www.generosity.org/stoner/

              • todd
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1 11:33 AM
                  The alloys of aluminum used in bike frames tend to crack near the welds
                  when flexed. Thus larger diameter tubing is used to make the frames
                  stiff.

                  However, the difference is subtle. The flex in the tires, fork,
                  handlebars/grips, seatpost and seat are all going to make a more
                  noticeable difference then whether the frame is aluminum or steel.

                  On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 12:58 -0500, Greg Davies wrote:
                  > Can someone please explain why the aluminum frames are worse off for
                  > the rider on rough streets? Get as technical as you like.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Greg
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Apr 1, 2010, at 10:46 AM, elliott hicks <yithicks@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > i have the motobecane messenger from bikesdirect.com and it is a great
                  > > bike. it comes with everything you will need including brakes and it
                  > > is incredibly easy to alter. the only problem is that it has a bad
                  > > saddle and the wheels are very fragile. i added a brooks saddle and
                  > > some velocity deep v's (stereotypically) and the bike is great. the
                  > > steal frame makes it smooth on the cracked chicago streets. also
                  > > bikes direct has added a bunch of other track bikes so look into those
                  > > as well.
                  > >
                  > > good luck
                  > > elliott
                  > >

                  > > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Jon Bruno
                  > > <jonathan.c.bruno@...> wrote:
                  > >> Harry,
                  > >> Check out bikesdirect.com. Many many people have had great luck with
                  > >> the Mercier Kilo TT, which is now being sold with brakes for 400 I
                  > >> beleive.
                  > >>
                  > >> -Jon

                  > >> .
                  > >>

                  > > --
                  > > Elliott Hicks

                  > > .

                • GJValent
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1 11:49 AM
                    I should have posted this first:

                    http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard_frametest.html

                    Greg Valent

                    On 4/1/2010 1:33 PM, todd wrote:
                    > The alloys of aluminum used in bike frames tend to crack near the welds
                    > when flexed. Thus larger diameter tubing is used to make the frames
                    > stiff.
                    >
                    > However, the difference is subtle. The flex in the tires, fork,
                    > handlebars/grips, seatpost and seat are all going to make a more
                    > noticeable difference then whether the frame is aluminum or steel.
                    >
                    > On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 12:58 -0500, Greg Davies wrote:
                    >
                    >> Can someone please explain why the aluminum frames are worse off for
                    >> the rider on rough streets? Get as technical as you like.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks!
                    >> Greg
                    >>
                    >> Sent from my iPhone
                    >>
                    >> On Apr 1, 2010, at 10:46 AM, elliott hicks<yithicks@...> wrote:
                    >>

                    >>> i have the motobecane messenger from bikesdirect.com and it is a great
                    >>> bike. it comes with everything you will need including brakes and it
                    >>> is incredibly easy to alter. the only problem is that it has a bad
                    >>> saddle and the wheels are very fragile. i added a brooks saddle and
                    >>> some velocity deep v's (stereotypically) and the bike is great. the
                    >>> steal frame makes it smooth on the cracked chicago streets. also
                    >>> bikes direct has added a bunch of other track bikes so look into those
                    >>> as well.
                    >>>
                    >>> good luck
                    >>> elliott

                    >>> --
                    >>> Elliott Hicks

                    >>> .

                  • Kathleen Ellis
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2 9:10 AM
                      Warning: this is not a technical explanation; more of a personal anecdote.
                      Happy Friday!

                      When I was shopping for a bike six or so years ago it was when the
                      aluminum frames were just starting to hit the "entry-level" market. I was
                      test riding steel and aluminum frames. The aluminum ones just felt clangy
                      and stiff when riding around. It felt like every bump in the road was
                      transmitted directly to my nervous system.

                      The aluminum frames of the time were appealing for their lightness, which
                      to be sure is an asset if you're in the market for a sturdy commuter,
                      hybrid or cargo bike and live in a 3rd floor walk-up.

                      It could have been that it was because they were entry level that they
                      felt crappy (Trek hybrids) and I hear tell that newer aluminum frames are
                      nicer. Also since carbon has gotten cheaper more of these aluminum bikes
                      are coming out with carbon forks and seat stays, which smooth things
                      considerably. That might be a nice compromise.

                      My personal fave (for a 90s vintage or later) is steel frame with carbon
                      fork, like my beloved '05 Jamis Nova. Yum yum yum yum yum yum yuuummmm....

                      On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Greg Davies wrote:

                      > Can someone please explain why the aluminum frames are worse off for the
                      > rider on rough streets? Get as technical as you like.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      > Greg

                      "Utopia is a matter of innermost urgency."
                      - Slavoj Zizek
                      "Life is short and truth works far and long; let us speak the truth."
                      - Arthur Schopenhauer