Memorial for Malachi Ritscher TONIGHT

  • pg_736
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006
      Friends,

      While news of this event is still fresh, and i don't know all the
      details, it seems almost definite that our friend Malachi Ritscher has
      passed, this past Friday morning. Please read this article in Sun
      Times for more information :
      http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/123692,CST-NWS-bodyfire04.article

      While dental records have not confirmed his identity, it seems that
      this person is almost definitely Malachi (his car was at the scene,
      his keys and last Will have been received in the mail by a friend,
      Malachi has not been seen since Friday, his website is not up to date).

      There is an impromptu memorial being held tonight at 11PM, at the
      scene (Millenium Flame) which is near the Ohio St. exit of southbound
      Kennedy Expressway (see the link for more info). Please come and
      please spread the word. I hope there is another chance for us all to
      come together to remember Malachi in the coming days, but this is
      what's happening tonight, so please try to come out.

      For those of you who may not know, Malachi has been a longtime
      supporter and participant of the Chicago experimental music scene for
      many years, and has recorded many live records for many musicians in
      town and throughout the world, and kept up his savagesound.com page,
      which has been a very useful and comprehensive list of creative music
      events in chicago. Also, Malachi was an activist and a very active and
      vocal protester of political and social ills that stem from, but are
      not limited to, the Bush administration.

      We will all miss him greatly.
    • Joe Germuska
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006
        Paul wrote:
        >We will all miss him greatly.

        from the calendar:

        "art and music can express outrage, inspire action, or soothe and distract;
        please think about priorities and be involved in things that matter -

        all bst ~ m"

        --
        Joe Germuska
        Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

        "The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
        -- Caetano Veloso
      • Seth Snyder
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006
          A deep loss. I will miss Malachi.
          Seth

          > While news of this event is still fresh, and i don't know all the
          > details, it seems almost definite that our friend Malachi Ritscher has
          > passed, this past Friday morning. Please read this article in Sun
          > Times for more information :
          > http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/123692,CST-NWS-bodyfire04.article
          >
          > While dental records have not confirmed his identity, it seems that
          > this person is almost definitely Malachi (his car was at the scene,
          > his keys and last Will have been received in the mail by a friend,
          > Malachi has not been seen since Friday, his website is not up to date).
          >
          > There is an impromptu memorial being held tonight at 11PM, at the
          > scene (Millenium Flame) which is near the Ohio St. exit of southbound
          > Kennedy Expressway (see the link for more info). Please come and
          > please spread the word. I hope there is another chance for us all to
          > come together to remember Malachi in the coming days, but this is
          > what's happening tonight, so please try to come out.
          >
          > For those of you who may not know, Malachi has been a longtime
          > supporter and participant of the Chicago experimental music scene for
          > many years, and has recorded many live records for many musicians in
          > town and throughout the world, and kept up his savagesound.com page,
          > which has been a very useful and comprehensive list of creative music
          > events in chicago. Also, Malachi was an activist and a very active and
          > vocal protester of political and social ills that stem from, but are
          > not limited to, the Bush administration.
          >
          > We will all miss him greatly.
          >

          > Post a message: chi-improv@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jason Guthartz
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006
            This is too sad and too hard to process right now.

            He may have selected his own exit music:
            http://myspace.com/savagesoundsyndicate

            -Jason

            --- In chi-improv@yahoogroups.com, "pg_736" <paul@...> wrote:
            > While news of this event is still fresh, and i don't know all the
            > details, it seems almost definite that our friend Malachi Ritscher has
            > passed, this past Friday morning.
          • Joel Wanek
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006
              Sad, sad news.

              If one considers a music "scene" to be more than
              just the musicians, Malachi was certainly a vital part
              of Chicago's improvised music community. He virtually
              devoted a good majority of his life to recording, preserving
              and championing this music.
            • Tushar Samant
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006
                And very probably wrote his obituary.

                http://www.savagesound.com/gallery100.htm

                Stunning, numbing news.

                On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 04:35:26AM -0000, Jason Guthartz wrote:
                > This is too sad and too hard to process right now.
                >
                > He may have selected his own exit music:
                > http://myspace.com/savagesoundsyndicate
                >
                > -Jason
                >
                > --- In chi-improv@yahoogroups.com, "pg_736" <paul@...> wrote:
                > > While news of this event is still fresh, and i don't know all the
                > > details, it seems almost definite that our friend Malachi Ritscher has
                > > passed, this past Friday morning.
              • Blue Lake Public Radio

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006
                    and this suicide note:

                    http://www.savagesound.com/gallery99.htm

                    --- In chi-improv@yahoogroups.com, Tushar Samant <tushar-l-chimp@...>

                  • drumsci@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 7, 2006
                      I'm stunned. I didn't know Malachi well, but we always talked at shows and he
                      had come to a few of my Chicago shows. The Chicago improv scene won't be the
                      same without Malachi and is ubiquitous recording gear. He will be greatly
                      missed.

                      ~ Michael

                    • Daniel Godston
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 7, 2006
                        This is heartbreaking news. I didn't know Malachi well, but he was and is and will be an important presence on the music scene. I'm sure many people on this listserv have fond memories of seeing him at shows and how genuine, approachable, and intelligent he was. I just saw him last week at Hotti Biscotti...

                        His passion for the music was amazing, and his commitment to recording and promoting this scene was admirable and vital. One thing that stands out in my mind about Malachi was his strong integrity. He will be missed.

                        > On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 04:35:26AM -0000, Jason Guthartz wrote:
                        > > This is too sad and too hard to process right now.
                        > >
                        > > He may have selected his own exit music:
                        > > http://myspace. com/savagesounds yndicate
                        > >
                        > > -Jason
                        > >
                        > > --- In chi-improv@yahoogro ups.com, "pg_736" <paul@> wrote:
                        > > > While news of this event is still fresh, and i don't know all the
                        > > > details, it seems almost definite that our friend Malachi
                        Ritscher has
                        > > > passed, this past Friday morning.

                      • JSoliday
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 7, 2006
                          There are no words. None at all.

                          I only knew Malachi a little, from savagesound, and talking to him at
                          shows (was there ever a show in this town that he wasn't at?!?), but I
                          always considered him a friend, and truly enjoyed the conversations I
                          had with him. There aren't enough people in this world like Malachi, and
                          now there's one less. He will truly be missed.

                          Jason
                        • Marguerite Horberg
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 7, 2006
                            Painful to read. Disturbing in such a profoundly anguished way. What drives
                            people to such violence against themselves especially when they are
                            supposedly so integrated into a community that he cared so passionately
                            about? Are we all so alienated in this hyper capitalist world? How can
                            someone go out every night amongst colleagues and feel so lonely? What a
                            truly horrible end to such a creative life. Let's support each other more in
                            this babylon madness and organize towards its demise in memory.
                            privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
                            original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.
                          • dreamtme3@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
                              I hope his story gets out more. I haven't heard anything about it on the radio news. Very SAD.

                              Nicole M