Re: [chhtworkinggroup] Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park

  • Lynn C. French
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
      That is a beautiful shot, Elizabeth.  My concern, however, is that because Meridian Hill Park is included not only in the Columbia Heights trail but also Adams Morgan's and I think a third trail, it might not be the best choice for an icon.

      Elizabeth McIntire <elizabeth@...> wrote:
      from the National Park Service website
      http://www.nps. gov/archive/ rocr/cultural/ merid.htm

      "Generally, gardens of this magnitude were reserved for aristocrats.
      Meridian Hill, however, was to be a product of democracy, open to all
      people."

      The park, before air-conditioning, was the summertime sleeping porch for the
      neighborhood. I remember an article by Courtland Milloy, I think, describing
      the sharing of the space by residents of all walks of life and ethnicities.

      "Perhaps the single most intriguing feature of the park is the thirteen
      basin cascade fountains that form the center of the lower level formal
      garden. The fountains are designed with a recirculating water system which,
      through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large circular
      fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each cascade
      bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water fills one
      bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large reflecting pool
      in the plaza."

      Elizabeth McIntire

      "Incite Hope"

      Lynn C. French
      1124 Columbia Road, NW
      Washington, DC 20009-5306
      202-462-3731
      202-462-1124/fax
      202-321-2730/cell

    • David McIntire
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        Well, it is physically located in Columbia Heights, and is at the
        "convergence" of U St and Adams Morgan as well.

        The image itself with water has movement and change, accessibility,
        and is "iconic".It includes the heights since it descends the
        escarpment (my own private obsession, along with Earley).

        The history goes from the very beginning - with a former President
        having lived there, and Jefferson's ill-fated unilateral declaration
        of the new prime meridian, and the Civil War Encampments, the Wayland
        Seminary, and Mrs Henderson's eviction of the African American
        settlement which probably started with the "contrabands" during the
        Civil War. (By the way, one might read the NPC "Park for all people"
        as a "spin"/ reversal on the eviction).

        Its well-recognized dual name also reflects something about Columbia
        Heights. It has been a stage for mobilizing (activism), the arts, and
        Clinton was there for Earth Day. It could be a symbol also of the
        revitalization of the neighborhood, and its certainly has always
        provided a venue for cultural convergence.

        And over the years, "Meridian Hill" I think has been used to refer to
        the larger hillside area , not just what is now bounded by 16th and
        15th Sts, so that may also include the Columbian College, and Cardozo.

        If an iconic image with Cardozo could be located that would be an
        alternative(maybe with the fireworks?) I'm in favor of a public image,
        rather than residential.

        Elizabeth Mcintire
        streetscape

        I'm opposed to

        --- In chhtworkinggroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn C. French"
        <frenchhotel@...> wrote:

        > That is a beautiful shot, Elizabeth. My concern, however, is that
        because Meridian Hill Park is included not only in the Columbia
        Heights trail but also Adams Morgan's and I think a third trail, it
        might not be the best choice for an icon.

        > Elizabeth McIntire <elizabeth@...> wrote: from the National
        Park Service website
        > http://www.nps.gov/archive/rocr/cultural/merid.htm
        >
        > "Generally, gardens of this magnitude were reserved for aristocrats.
        > Meridian Hill, however, was to be a product of democracy, open to all
        > people."
        >
        > The park, before air-conditioning, was the summertime sleeping porch
        for the
        > neighborhood. I remember an article by Courtland Milloy, I think,
        describing
        > the sharing of the space by residents of all walks of life and
        ethnicities.

        > "Perhaps the single most intriguing feature of the park is the thirteen
        > basin cascade fountains that form the center of the lower level formal
        > garden. The fountains are designed with a recirculating water system
        which,
        > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
        circular
        > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
        cascade
        > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
        fills one
        > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
        reflecting pool
        > in the plaza."
        >
        > Elizabeth McIntire
        >

        > "Incite Hope"
        >
        > Lynn C. French
        > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
        > Washington, DC
        >
        > /fax
        > /cell
        > frenchhotel@...

      • Lynn C. French
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
          Elizabeth -- I do not disagree with any of your points -- and I am still mulling over it.  The symbol not only should be iconic, but also immediately should bespeak Columbia Heights.  If there is nothing else, Meridian Hill Park should be it -- and the gorgeous cascading waterfall is perfect.  I just feel the need to take one more look around.      Lynn

          PS -- On another note, do you recall whether or not the Ward One Democrats' election was announced on your list serve?  Was the opportunity to run as an officer announced there?  Thanks.

          <frenchhotel@ ...> wrote:

          > That is a beautiful shot, Elizabeth. My concern, however, is that
          because Meridian Hill Park is included not only in the Columbia
          Heights trail but also Adams Morgan's and I think a third trail, it
          might not be the best choice for an icon.

          > Elizabeth McIntire <elizabeth@. ..> wrote: from the National
          Park Service website
          > http://www.nps. gov/archive/ rocr/cultural/ merid.htm
          >
          > "Generally, gardens of this magnitude were reserved for aristocrats.
          > Meridian Hill, however, was to be a product of democracy, open to all
          > people."
          >
          > The park, before air-conditioning, was the summertime sleeping porch
          for the
          > neighborhood. I remember an article by Courtland Milloy, I think,
          describing
          > the sharing of the space by residents of all walks of life and
          ethnicities.

          > "Perhaps the single most intriguing feature of the park is the thirteen
          > basin cascade fountains that form the center of the lower level formal
          > garden. The fountains are designed with a recirculating water system
          which,
          > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
          circular
          > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
          cascade
          > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
          fills one
          > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
          reflecting pool
          > in the plaza."
          >
          > Elizabeth McIntire
          >

          > "Incite Hope"
          >
          > Lynn C. French
          > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
          > Washington, DC
          >
          > /fax
          > /cell
          > frenchhotel@ ...

          "Incite Hope"

          Lynn C. French
          1124 Columbia Road, NW
          Washington, DC 20009-5306
          202-462-3731
          202-462-1124/fax
          202-321-2730/cell

        • Orgone
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
            You should have seen the Park in the late 50s when I was 9 years old.  Just as others have mentioned, all segments of society were there on those hot summer nights.  It really was a beautiful Park.  St. Joan still had her sword in those days and the large pool at the bottom was always stocked with lots of big goldfish swimming amongst the lilypads.

            Looks like we're stuck on choosing between using the Park & Cardozo as the Icon photo.  Obviously, as a graduate of the Class of 1968, I would like to see Cardozo as the Icon, but I think the Park should be excluded because it is already represented on a Heritage Trail.  Perhaps Cardozo could be included with some other photo representing Columbia Heights for the Icon photo?

            <frenchhotel@ ...> wrote:

            > That is a beautiful shot, Elizabeth. My concern, however, is that
            because Meridian Hill Park is included not only in the Columbia
            Heights trail but also Adams Morgan's and I think a third trail, it
            might not be the best choice for an icon.

            > Elizabeth McIntire <elizabeth@. ..> wrote: from the National
            Park Service website
            > http://www.nps. gov/archive/ rocr/cultural/ merid.htm
            >
            > "Generally, gardens of this magnitude were reserved for aristocrats.
            > Meridian Hill, however, was to be a product of democracy, open to all
            > people."
            >
            > The park, before air-conditioning, was the summertime sleeping porch
            for the
            > neighborhood. I remember an article by Courtland Milloy, I think,
            describing
            > the sharing of the space by residents of all walks of life and
            ethnicities.

            > "Perhaps the single most intriguing feature of the park is the thirteen
            > basin cascade fountains that form the center of the lower level formal
            > garden. The fountains are designed with a recirculating water system
            which,
            > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
            circular
            > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
            cascade
            > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
            fills one
            > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
            reflecting pool
            > in the plaza."
            >
            > Elizabeth McIntire
            >

            > "Incite Hope"
            >
            > Lynn C. French
            > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
            > Washington, DC
            >
            > /fax
            > /cell
            > frenchhotel@ ...

            R. Kelley

          • Lynn C. French
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
              Actually I did see it in the late 50's -- as well as in the late 40's when it was a good spot for cooling off in pre-air conditioning times -- it was and still is beautiful.  I am hoping that an excellent photographer with excellent equipment will emerge to help us with the Cardozo shot we'd hoped for -- the main entrance where is says Cardozo High School, yet one also can see that it once said Central High School.  The Columbia Heights theme is "cultural convergence" and a great shot showing the former name in a shadow behind the current name would be wonderful!

              <frenchhotel@ ...> wrote:

              > That is a beautiful shot, Elizabeth. My concern, however, is that
              because Meridian Hill Park is included not only in the Columbia
              Heights trail but also Adams Morgan's and I think a third trail, it
              might not be the best choice for an icon.

              > Elizabeth McIntire <elizabeth@. ..> wrote: from the National
              Park Service website
              > http://www.nps. gov/archive/ rocr/cultural/ merid.htm
              >
              > "Generally, gardens of this magnitude were reserved for aristocrats.
              > Meridian Hill, however, was to be a product of democracy, open to all
              > people."
              >
              > The park, before air-conditioning, was the summertime sleeping porch
              for the
              > neighborhood. I remember an article by Courtland Milloy, I think,
              describing
              > the sharing of the space by residents of all walks of life and
              ethnicities.

              > "Perhaps the single most intriguing feature of the park is the thirteen
              > basin cascade fountains that form the center of the lower level formal
              > garden. The fountains are designed with a recirculating water system
              which,
              > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
              circular
              > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
              cascade
              > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
              fills one
              > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
              reflecting pool
              > in the plaza."
              >
              > Elizabeth McIntire
              >

              > "Incite Hope"
              >
              > Lynn C. French
              > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
              > Washington, DC
              >
              > /fax
              > /cell
              > frenchhotel@ ...

              R. Kelley

              "Incite Hope"

              Lynn C. French
              1124 Columbia Road, NW
              Washington, DC 20009-5306
              202-462-3731
              202-462-1124/fax
              202-321-2730/cell

            • William Jordan
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007

                I would recommend taking a photo that looks down 14th St south which on a clear day show views all the way out to Virginia.  If the photo could show people in the distance walking up and down the street, but not distinctive even better.

                or

                A shot from the top of the Kenyon Square building that is a composite of  N/S/E/W capturing streets and roof tops.  Streets and rooftops captures the convergence and diversity of Columbia Heights. Which reflects both the people and the architecture.

                Either of these especially one that captures people moving in the distance would reflect the "cultural convergence" and modern photo would also capture the convergence and paralells between our future and past, sort of the Sankofa Bird then which flies forward while looking backwards. While the content of the signs looks at history the icon should speak to the future also.  The key is to capture not just the importance of place, but the importance of place because of what people did their, "live life".

                William

                <frenchhotel@ ...> wrote:

                > That is a beautiful shot, Elizabeth. My concern, however, is that
                because Meridian Hill Park is included not only in the Columbia
                Heights trail but also Adams Morgan's and I think a third trail, it
                might not be the best choice for an icon.

                > Elizabeth McIntire <elizabeth@. ..> wrote: from the National
                Park Service website
                > http://www.nps. gov/archive/ rocr/cultural/ merid.htm
                >
                > "Generally, gardens of this magnitude were reserved for aristocrats.
                > Meridian Hill, however, was to be a product of democracy, open to all
                > people."
                >
                > The park, before air-conditioning, was the summertime sleeping porch
                for the
                > neighborhood. I remember an article by Courtland Milloy, I think,
                describing
                > the sharing of the space by residents of all walks of life and
                ethnicities.

                > "Perhaps the single most intriguing feature of the park is the thirteen
                > basin cascade fountains that form the center of the lower level formal
                > garden. The fountains are designed with a recirculating water system
                which,
                > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
                circular
                > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
                cascade
                > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
                fills one
                > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
                reflecting pool
                > in the plaza."
                >
                > Elizabeth McIntire
                >

                > "Incite Hope"
                >
                > Lynn C. French
                > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
                > Washington, DC
                >
                > /fax
                > /cell
                > frenchhotel@ ...

                R. Kelley

              • Lynn C. French
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Those sound like great shots -- and those ideas already were considered.  The problem is in translating that shot into a small square in the corner of each sign on the trail.  The majority of each sign tells a story -- and the icon in the corner identifies the trail.  So for it to work, it needs to be a glimpse of something immediately recognizable.    Lynn

                  Orgone wrote:

> [...]
                  > which,
                  > > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
                  > circular
                  > > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
                  > cascade
                  > > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
                  > fills one
                  > > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
                  > reflecting pool
                  > > in the plaza."
                  > >
                  > > Elizabeth McIntire
                  > >

                  > > "Incite Hope"
                  > >
                  > > Lynn C. French
                  > > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
                  > > Washington, DC
                  > >
                  > > /fax
                  > > /cell
                  > > frenchhotel@...
                  > >

                  > R. Kelley

                  > Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

                  "Incite Hope"

                  Lynn C. French
                  1124 Columbia Road, NW
                  Washington, DC 20009-5306
                  202-462-3731
                  202-462-1124/fax
                  202-321-2730/cell

                • William Jordan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007

                    I'm going more for recognizing a feeling(s).  Kind of like WOW but then upon closer inspection, amazingly intricate.  I would love to get lost in there, btw were I'm I in there.

                    My view is that we are selling CH to ourselves and if we buy in others will.

                    William

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                      William -- That's a great idea -- but you are talking about a small icon in the corner of a sign.  Check out the signs in neighboring areas and let me know what you think.

                      Lynn C. French wrote:

> [...]
                      > > which,
                      > > > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
                      > > circular
                      > > > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
                      > > cascade
                      > > > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
                      > > fills one
                      > > > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
                      > > reflecting pool
                      > > > in the plaza."
                      > > >
                      > > > Elizabeth McIntire
                      > > >

                      > > > "Incite Hope"
                      > > >
                      > > > Lynn C. French
                      > > > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
                      > > > Washington, DC
                      > > >
                      > > > /fax
                      > > > /cell
                      > > > frenchhotel@...
                      > > >

                      > > R. Kelley

                      > > Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel

                      "Incite Hope"

                      Lynn C. French
                      1124 Columbia Road, NW
                      Washington, DC 20009-5306
                      202-462-3731
                      202-462-1124/fax
                      202-321-2730/cell

                    • William Jordan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007

                        I took a look at te Mt. Pleasant & AM trail signs this morning.  I thnk the size will work for a "view" approach vs. an icon, but I'll take a few digital photos an see how it might work.    I liked the Mt.P porch because it generates emotion/memories and is universal vs. the AM streetsign/light which is so specific by boiling the community down to one intersection.

                        William

                        Lynn C. French wrote:

> [...]
                        > > which,
                        > > > through an elaborate series of pumps, supplies water to two large
                        > > circular
                        > > > fountains on the upper level, and cascade found on the lower. Each
                        > > cascade
                        > > > bowl flows to a larger bowl as they descend to the bottom. Water
                        > > fills one
                        > > > bowl, overflowing into the next, until it reaches the large
                        > > reflecting pool
                        > > > in the plaza."
                        > > >
                        > > > Elizabeth McIntire
                        > > >

                        > > > "Incite Hope"
                        > > >
                        > > > Lynn C. French
                        > > > 1124 Columbia Road, NW
                        > > > Washington, DC
                        > > >
                        > > > /fax
                        > > > /cell
                        > > > frenchhotel@...
                        > > >

                        > > R. Kelley

                        > > Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel

                        "Incite Hope"

                        Lynn C. French
                        1124 Columbia Road, NW
                        Washington, DC 20009-5306
                        202-462-3731
                        202-462-1124/fax
                        202-321-2730/cell

                      • Lynn C. French
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
                          Sounds good -- thanks.

                          Lynn C. French wrote:

> [...]
                          > trail, it
                          > > > might not be the best choice for an icon.

                          > > > Park Service website

                          > > > aristocrats.
                          > > > to all

                          > > porch
                          > > > for the
                          > think,
                          > > > describing
                          > > > ethnicities.

                          > > > thirteen
                          > > > formal
                          > > system
                          > > > which,
                          > large
                          > > > circular
                          > lower. Each
                          > > > cascade
                          > > > fills one
                          > > > reflecting pool

                          > > > R. Kelley

                          > > > Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel

                          "Incite Hope"

                          Lynn C. French
                          1124 Columbia Road, NW
                          Washington, DC 20009-5306
                          202-462-3731
                          202-462-1124/fax
                          202-321-2730/cell

                        • Jane Freundel Levey
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                            Dear Working Group,
                                I've taken a quick look at the string below (I was out of the office last week), and the discussions are really good. I would like to add one additional thought, and that is sometimes the icon turns out to be a detail of a larger photograph, one that is turned up in the next round of research (this happened in Southwest). It would be great to settle on one in time for the application, but it can be a placeholder in case something better arises.
                                As Lynn has noted, this is quite a challenge as it has to be resonant AND it needs to be intelligible as a relatively small, square image.
                                One other comment on the Adams Morgan trail icon. It was chosen because the neighborhood once was known as "18th and Columbia." The Adams Morgan Working Group was more attuned to the older history in making that choice. The same is true for the Southwest (early 20th century river boats) and Downtown (Lincoln) trail icons. I'm not suggesting that the Columbia Heights icon be from an earlier era, just explaining how those were chosen.
                                I look forward to more discussions.

                            Best,

                            Jane Freundel Levey

                            Lynn C. French wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > Park Service website

                            > > > aristocrats.
                            > > > to all

                            > > porch
                            > > > for the
                            > think,
                            > > > describing
                            > > > ethnicities.

                            > > > thirteen
                            > > > formal
                            > > system
                            > > > which,
                            > large
                            > > > circular
                            > lower. Each
                            > > > cascade
                            > > > fills one
                            > > > reflecting pool

                            > > > R. Kelley

                            > > > Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel

                            "Incite Hope"

                            Lynn C. French
                            1124 Columbia Road, NW
                            Washington, DC 20009-5306