Re: [chhattisgarh-net] Journalist threatened in Dantewada

  • Anoop Saha
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11 7:19 AM
      Hi,

      Here are the full details about Kamlesh. He was
      working with Hindsatt, a daily published from
      Jagdalpur till last month as their Bijapur
      correspondent. Before that, he was associated with a
      weekly called Chhattisgarh Vichar again as its Bijapur
      correspondent. He had regularly reported about the
      naxals in Dantewada. On this, the police got
      suspicious, and the SP of Bijapur, Mr. D. L. Manhar,
      proposed to him that he reveal his sources to the
      police. I am not a journalist myself, but I guess that
      this kind of demand is against the law. This was in
      April 2005. When Kamlesh refused to toe his line, the
      SP got very irritated by him and categorically warned
      him of the consequences.

      In september 2005, around 50 houses were burnt by
      Salwa Judum gangs in Mankeli village, around 15 km
      from Bijapur. There were reports of several deaths,
      but that was unconfirmed. Kamlesh's report on the
      burning of the houses was published in the 8th
      September issue of Hindsatt. Based on the report, a
      team of CPI (Communist Party of India) visited
      Mankeli. His harassment by the administration and
      Salwa Judum took a serious turn after this. In
      addition to being a journalist, Kamlesh also had the
      permit to operate a fair price shop (rice control) in
      Bijapur. He used to buy the rice from FCI at the BPL
      rate of Rs. 5.70 and sell them at the 'saptahik
      bazaar' for Rs. 6.15. For this he had to renew the
      permit every week. After this report, first his quota
      of rice for the 'saptahik bazaar' was refused to him.
      Then his permit was cancelled without giving any
      reason. He had to run from food inspector to the
      assistant collector to the police. Despite giving
      several applications, nothing worked out. His movement
      was restricted around Bijapur, and he was not allowed
      to visit the villages affected by Salwa Judum and the
      camps where displaced people are living.

      The PUCL team visited Dantewada between 26th to 29th
      November. They contacted Kamlesh, and asked him to
      acompany them for the fact-finding team. Even while
      accompanied by them, he was not allowed to go to those
      places. After the press release the administration got
      very irritated. He was directly been blamed for
      inviting both the CPI and the PUCL team. His elder
      brother Tarkeshwar Singh was a 'prabhari' in Cherpal
      High School. The police claimed that naxal literature
      and uniforms were recovered from Tarkeshwar's house
      and put him in jail. This was on 1st Dec 2005. He was
      later charged in a 'Bomb visfot' case that happenned
      in Padera village in which 1 jawan was injured. His
      brother was release on bail on 15th dec 2005, and the
      case is still on. In between all this, a local Salwa
      Judum leader confessed to Kamlesh's brother that all
      his troubles are because if his brother's reporting
      against Salwa Judum.

      After similar harassments, and fearing for his life
      he finally moved to Dantewada town in the third week
      of December. His friends informed him that the police
      in Bijapur was planning his encounter. His wife and
      parents are staying with him in Dantewada. Here he
      does not have a job and is paying the price for honest
      reporting. Kamlesh is a member of 'Chhattisgarh
      Shramjivi Patrakar Sangh', and they have submitted
      application on his behalf to Chhattisgarh CM, Governor
      and the leader of the opposition. But, as obvious,
      nothing changed even after that. It seems that the
      authorities are always afraid of the educated
      adivasis, those who are aware of his/her rights and
      who can raise a voice. Any effort to put pressure on
      the authorities in Dantewada will go a long way in
      restraining them.

      With Regards,
      ~Anoop Saha
      Bangalore

      --- Surekha Sule <surekha52@...> wrote:

      > OK got the background needed in this need
      > Surekha
      >

      > On 1/10/06, Shubhranshu Choudhary
      > <smitashu@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear friends,
      > >
      > > Kamlesh Paikra 'was' a journalist with Hindsatt
      > Jagdalpur, and was posted
      > > in Bijapur. There were a few killings by Salwa
      > Judum , in the Mankel
    • smita
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12 7:02 PM
        Hello all!
        You can also send money by money order through Indian Postal Services- an option we forget in the "advanced banking" scenario!!! I am taking this route to send 500 rupees as a gesture of concern to Kamlesh.
        Smita
      • Shubhranshu Choudhary
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12 7:49 PM
          Thanks Smita for the reality check. We do sometime forget that in the age of
          internet banking sometime our age old systems are more effective, as it is
          in this case.
          One more CGnet member, (who does not want to be identified) has transferred
          Rs 1000 in my bank account. I will send it to Kamlesh by Money Order today.
          If any of you want to use that route pls use my ICICI bank account no
          002901003966 at GK 1 branch in Delhi ( It is in the name of Shubhra
          Choudhary).I will be happy to send the amount by money order to Kamlesh. Pls
          send me a mail if you also decide to do that.

          regards
          Shubhranshu
          > You can also send money by money order through Indian Postal Services- an
          option we forget in the "advanced banking" scenario!!! I am taking this
          route to send 500 rupees as a gesture of concern to Kamlesh.
          > Smita
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ranjana
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12 9:20 PM
            dear friends,
            we are drafting a leaflet for follow up of the camapign against police killings in orissa. we want a fact ....pls help.
            how many MOUs have been signed by the Chhatisgarh govt in the last 5 years? the figures in Orissa and Jharkhand are 43 and 40, respectively. the Chhatisgarh govt has signed 19 MOUs with the Jindals alone.
            pls help and verify the info too.
            in solidarity,
            ranjana
          • manshi asher
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 13 1:02 AM
              Dear Ranjana

              As per the CSIDC website
              "48 MOUs executed with various industrial groups for investment of Rs. 292.92 Billions ($ 6.65 Billion) during last four years. Implementation against 41 MOUs already in progress"

              U can get this on http://www.csidc.in/scenario.htm

              Thanks
              Manshi

              ranjana <ranjanapadhi@...> wrote:
              dear friends,
              we are drafting a leaflet for follow up of the camapign against police killings in orissa. we want a fact ....pls help.
              how many MOUs have been signed by the Chhatisgarh govt in the last 5 years? the figures in Orissa and Jharkhand are 43 and 40, respectively. the Chhatisgarh govt has signed 19 MOUs with the Jindals alone.

              Manshi Asher, National Centre for Advocacy Studies
              Serenity Complex, Ramnagar Colony, Pune 21,Phone - 020-22952003, 22952004 ,website www.ncasindia.org,email ncas@...