The World of 3D Chess

  • chessin3d
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2011
      3D Chess is the favored game of many of the most intelligent fictional
      characters ever created. Among its fictional players are Mr. Spock, Captain Kirk (Star Trek), Brainiac 5 (DC Comics), Reed Richards, Tony Stark (Marvel Comics), Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory). The term "Three Dimensional Chess" has become an figure of speech in English referring to anything that is hopelessly complex. Yet 3D Chess is a very real game, with very real players. In this book I hope to introduce you to the exciting world of Three Dimensional Chess, a world that I have known for over thirty years.

      http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-world-of-3d-chess/15066761
      http://tinyurl.com/4onkte2
    • sshum2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2011
        --- In chessvariants@yahoogroups.com, "chessin3d" <chessin3d@...> wrote:

        > 3D Chess is the favored game of many of the most intelligent fictional
        > characters ever created. Among its fictional players are Mr. Spock, Captain Kirk (Star Trek), Brainiac 5 (DC Comics), Reed Richards, Tony Stark (Marvel Comics), Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory). The term "Three Dimensional Chess" has become an figure of speech in English referring to anything that is hopelessly complex. Yet 3D Chess is a very real game, with very real players. In this book I hope to introduce you to the exciting world of Three Dimensional Chess, a world that I have known for over thirty years.
        >

        > http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-world-of-3d-chess/15066761
        > http://tinyurl.com/4onkte2

        It already got a review of one star out of 5. This review doesn't like chesvariants.com's "Raumschach starting position diagram" as they are supposedly in error.

        This image <http://www.chessvariants.org/d.photo/3d/raumschach2.gif> seems to show the set up position with all pieces on the bottom 2 levels. A row of pawns on the second level and 2 rows of various pieces on the 1st level. But that was Dr. Maack's original 8x8 version.

        <http://www.chessvariants.org/3d.dir/3d5.html> Our main Raumschach page only discuss the 5x5 version and only mentions the 8x8 as the original briefly in the introduction.

        So might the critic be right, playing the original 8x8 or playing a variant?
      • omegamani
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2011
          I received and read this short, 95-page book yesterday. The bad
          review on Lulu over a couple of petty points is hateful, undeserved
          and uninformed. James Trimm's book is clearly written, neatly organized and competently researched with numerous diagrams and useful internet references.

          Overall, I would give it four stars out of five.

          Flaws:

          1. There is no index.

          2. I am puzzled as to why my 3-D chess variant, Spherical Chess 400, and a few other known, quality 3-D games are not even mentioned. In fact, this book concentrates exclusively upon the half-dozen most popular and best-known 3-D chess variants (with a chapter devoted to each) instead of the entire, diverse "world" of 3-D chess ... as the title misleads you into expecting. Hopefully, a longer, more complete book which also includes coverage of some of the most interesting, quality 3-D games will eventually materialize as a
          second edition. Personally, I find it inappropriate and disdainful to allow Star Trek and science fiction book fans/fanatics who know and care little about chess variants to dictate to our experts what content is covered.