the (previously-unknown) standard 8H x 10W game

  • omegamani
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Based upon the precarious assumption that the standard 8H x 8W game
      of chess possesses a unique veracity in its design due to its
      characteristic pawn coverage of its 2 most valuable pieces,
      here is what the standard 8H x 10W game must look like:

      R-N-C-B-Q-K-B-A-N-R
      R-N-A-B-K-Q-B-C-N-R
      ____________________

      Out of the 26,000+ available Capablanca Random Chess opening setups,
      there are only 2 select opening setups (E-W mirror images of one
      another) for which:

      1. The 3 pawns adjacent to the most valuable piece (i.e., the king)
      are backed-up the maximum times possible (4 vertical, 4 diagonal,
      3 diagonal).

      2. The 3 pawns adjacent to the 2nd most valuable piece
      (i.e., the queen) are backed-up the maximum times possible
      (4 vertical, 4 diagonal, 2 diagonal) AFTER meeting condition #1.

      The only other restriction is that E-W symmetry in the opening setup
      is given wherever pairs of pieces exist.

      There are 21 pawn coverages used out of a maximum possible 23
      available. So, 2 pawn coverages are "wasted". Individually,
      some pawns have a minimum of zero coverages while some pawns have a
      maximum of 4 coverages with an average of 2.1 coverages.

      I am not generally interested in games of this class. This is merely
      another puzzle-solving exercise to me. I leave the christening to
      someone else.