Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Test string against expression?

  • Buck Golemon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
      If you're coming from Perl, the first thing you should know about python is that regular expressions are generally the Wrong Way to do it.
      Nearly everywhere you'd use a regex in perl, you use a string method in python. It's more explicit and faster (especially since regex in python is not super optimized like perl).

      On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Rick Miller <vmiller@...> wrote:
      On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Buck Golemon <buck@...> wrote:
      > Cheetah is a superset of python (kindof).
      > Get your logic working in python, then port it to cheetah.
      > You want re.match, from the standard python library:
      >
      > http://docs.python.org/library/re.html#re.RegexObject.match
      >

      > In your particular example below however, regular expressions are overkill,
      > just use the string `in` operator:
      >
      > #if 'string' in $getVar('name')
      >    #set foo = "bar"
      > #else
      >    #set bar = "foo"
      > #end if
      >
      > That's basic python. You should take a couple hours and run through the
      > official tutorial.
      > At *least* skim the parts on string processing.
      > http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

      Thanks, Buck!  I'll check out that tutorial!