Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] issues installing Cheetah on OS X 10.7.2

  • R. Tyler Croy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
      On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Kerry Kurian wrote:

      > Hi group,
      >
      > two parts:
      >
      > 1. I installed Cheetah 2.4.4 via package download and python setup.py
      > install, and got this:
      >
      > One or more C extensions failed to build. Performance enhancements
      > will not be available. Pure Python installation succeeded.
      >
      > If anyone knows how to fix that, I'd love to know. (FWIW I have
      > XCode 4.2.1 installed.)

      I wonder if this might have been caused by Lion defaulting to clang(1) for its
      default C compiler. You might try setting the CC=/usr/bin/gcc4.2 (if I remember
      correctly) environment variable and try again.

      > 2. cheetah test gives me a boadload of errors and two fails.
      >
      > The errors look like this:
      >
      > ===================================ERROR: test1
      > (Cheetah.Tests.NameMapper.VFFSL) string in dict lookup
      > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recentcall last): File
      > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
      > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/NameMapper.py",
      > line 510, in setUp del ns['anInt'] # will be picked up by globals
      > KeyError: 'anInt'
      >
      > The two fails are as follows:
      >
      > ====================================FAIL:
      > test_compilationCache (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
      > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
      > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
      > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py",
      > line 158, in test_compilationCache assert not
      > klass._CHEETAH_isInCompilationCache AssertionError
      >
      > ====================================FAIL:
      > test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
      > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
      > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
      > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py", line 133,
      > in test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg assert not t.generatedModuleCode()
      > AssertionError

      > Any ideas? Safe to ignore those? If not, what's the fix?

      I've not seen these errors, I also don't have a Mac running around to test on
      :/

      Could you grab the latest from https://github.com/rtyler/cheetah and try that?

      - R. Tyler Croy
      --------------------------------------
      Code: http://github.com/rtyler
      Chatter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
      rtyler@...
    • Kerry Kurian
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
        On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM, R. Tyler Croy <tyler@...> wrote:

        On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Kerry Kurian wrote:

        > Hi group,
        >
        > two parts:
        >
        > 1. I installed Cheetah 2.4.4 via package download and python setup.py
        > install, and got this:
        >
        > One or more C extensions failed to build. Performance enhancements
        > will not be available. Pure Python installation succeeded.
        >
        > If anyone knows how to fix that, I'd love to know. (FWIW I have
        > XCode 4.2.1 installed.)

        I wonder if this might have been caused by Lion defaulting to clang(1) for its
        default C compiler. You might try setting the CC=/usr/bin/gcc4.2 (if I remember
        correctly) environment variable and try again.

        Issue #1 resolved -- install is trying to use  "gcc-4.2" but it's named "gcc" on my system. I set up a symlink for gcc-4.2 --> gcc and the install now builds the .so. (Setting CC=/usr/bin/gcc didn't do the trick.)

        > 2. cheetah test gives me a boadload of errors and two fails.
        >
        > The errors look like this:
        >
        > ===================================ERROR: test1
        > (Cheetah.Tests.NameMapper.VFFSL) string in dict lookup
        > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recentcall last): File
        > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
        > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/NameMapper.py",
        > line 510, in setUp del ns['anInt'] # will be picked up by globals
        > KeyError: 'anInt'
        >
        > The two fails are as follows:
        >
        > ====================================FAIL:
        > test_compilationCache (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
        > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
        > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
        > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py",
        > line 158, in test_compilationCache assert not
        > klass._CHEETAH_isInCompilationCache AssertionError
        >
        > ====================================FAIL:
        > test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
        > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
        > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
        > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py", line 133,
        > in test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg assert not t.generatedModuleCode()
        > AssertionError

        > Any ideas? Safe to ignore those? If not, what's the fix?

        I've not seen these errors, I also don't have a Mac running around to test on
        :/

        Could you grab the latest from https://github.com/rtyler/cheetah and try that?

        I just downloaded and installed the latest.

        Issue #2 remains -- still getting 2 failures and 228 errors. Based on a quick scan of the errors, it looks like all the errors are caused by Tests/NameMapper.py at line 510 (as shown above).

        In case it matters, during install there's one thing that doesn't look right:

        /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c12dev_r88846-py2.7.egg/setuptools/command/bdist_egg.py:422: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

        If you'd like me to try out anything over here on the mac, just let me know.

        -K

        - R. Tyler Croy

        --
        Kerry Ivan Kurian

        Want more?
         Follow me on Twitter (@kkurian)
         Friend me on Facebook (kkurian)

        This email, including all attachments, is private and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. No use other than by my intended recipients is permitted. Thank you.