[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] issues installing Cheetah on OS X 10.7.2

  • Kerry Kurian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
      Hi group,

      two parts:

      1. I installed Cheetah 2.4.4 via package download and python setup.py
      install, and got this:

      One or more C extensions failed to build. Performance enhancements
      will not be available. Pure Python installation succeeded.

      If anyone knows how to fix that, I'd love to know. (FWIW I have
      XCode 4.2.1 installed.)

      2. cheetah test gives me a boadload of errors and two fails.

      The errors look like this:

      ===================================ERROR: test1
      (Cheetah.Tests.NameMapper.VFFSL) string in dict lookup
      ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recentcall last): File
      "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
      site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/NameMapper.py",
      line 510, in setUp del ns['anInt'] # will be picked up by globals
      KeyError: 'anInt'

      The two fails are as follows:

      ====================================FAIL:
      test_compilationCache (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
      ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
      "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
      site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py",
      line 158, in test_compilationCache assert not
      klass._CHEETAH_isInCompilationCache AssertionError

      ====================================FAIL:
      test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
      ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
      "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
      site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py", line 133,
      in test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg assert not t.generatedModuleCode()
      AssertionError

      Any ideas? Safe to ignore those? If not, what's the fix?

    • R. Tyler Croy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
        On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Kerry Kurian wrote:

        > Hi group,
        >
        > two parts:
        >
        > 1. I installed Cheetah 2.4.4 via package download and python setup.py
        > install, and got this:
        >
        > One or more C extensions failed to build. Performance enhancements
        > will not be available. Pure Python installation succeeded.
        >
        > If anyone knows how to fix that, I'd love to know. (FWIW I have
        > XCode 4.2.1 installed.)

        I wonder if this might have been caused by Lion defaulting to clang(1) for its
        default C compiler. You might try setting the CC=/usr/bin/gcc4.2 (if I remember
        correctly) environment variable and try again.

        > 2. cheetah test gives me a boadload of errors and two fails.
        >
        > The errors look like this:
        >
        > ===================================ERROR: test1
        > (Cheetah.Tests.NameMapper.VFFSL) string in dict lookup
        > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recentcall last): File
        > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
        > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/NameMapper.py",
        > line 510, in setUp del ns['anInt'] # will be picked up by globals
        > KeyError: 'anInt'
        >
        > The two fails are as follows:
        >
        > ====================================FAIL:
        > test_compilationCache (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
        > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
        > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
        > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py",
        > line 158, in test_compilationCache assert not
        > klass._CHEETAH_isInCompilationCache AssertionError
        >
        > ====================================FAIL:
        > test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
        > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
        > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
        > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py", line 133,
        > in test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg assert not t.generatedModuleCode()
        > AssertionError

        > Any ideas? Safe to ignore those? If not, what's the fix?

        I've not seen these errors, I also don't have a Mac running around to test on
        :/

        Could you grab the latest from https://github.com/rtyler/cheetah and try that?

        - R. Tyler Croy
        --------------------------------------
        Code: http://github.com/rtyler
        Chatter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
        rtyler@...
      • Kerry Kurian
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
          On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM, R. Tyler Croy <tyler@...> wrote:

          On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Kerry Kurian wrote:

          > Hi group,
          >
          > two parts:
          >
          > 1. I installed Cheetah 2.4.4 via package download and python setup.py
          > install, and got this:
          >
          > One or more C extensions failed to build. Performance enhancements
          > will not be available. Pure Python installation succeeded.
          >
          > If anyone knows how to fix that, I'd love to know. (FWIW I have
          > XCode 4.2.1 installed.)

          I wonder if this might have been caused by Lion defaulting to clang(1) for its
          default C compiler. You might try setting the CC=/usr/bin/gcc4.2 (if I remember
          correctly) environment variable and try again.

          Issue #1 resolved -- install is trying to use  "gcc-4.2" but it's named "gcc" on my system. I set up a symlink for gcc-4.2 --> gcc and the install now builds the .so. (Setting CC=/usr/bin/gcc didn't do the trick.)

          > 2. cheetah test gives me a boadload of errors and two fails.
          >
          > The errors look like this:
          >
          > ===================================ERROR: test1
          > (Cheetah.Tests.NameMapper.VFFSL) string in dict lookup
          > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recentcall last): File
          > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
          > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/NameMapper.py",
          > line 510, in setUp del ns['anInt'] # will be picked up by globals
          > KeyError: 'anInt'
          >
          > The two fails are as follows:
          >
          > ====================================FAIL:
          > test_compilationCache (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
          > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
          > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
          > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py",
          > line 158, in test_compilationCache assert not
          > klass._CHEETAH_isInCompilationCache AssertionError
          >
          > ====================================FAIL:
          > test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg (Cheetah.Tests.Template.ClassMethods_compile)
          > ---------------------------------- Traceback (most recent call last): File
          > "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/
          > site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.4-py2.7.egg/Cheetah/Tests/Template.py", line 133,
          > in test_keepRefToGeneratedCodeArg assert not t.generatedModuleCode()
          > AssertionError

          > Any ideas? Safe to ignore those? If not, what's the fix?

          I've not seen these errors, I also don't have a Mac running around to test on
          :/

          Could you grab the latest from https://github.com/rtyler/cheetah and try that?

          I just downloaded and installed the latest.

          Issue #2 remains -- still getting 2 failures and 228 errors. Based on a quick scan of the errors, it looks like all the errors are caused by Tests/NameMapper.py at line 510 (as shown above).

          In case it matters, during install there's one thing that doesn't look right:

          /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c12dev_r88846-py2.7.egg/setuptools/command/bdist_egg.py:422: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

          If you'd like me to try out anything over here on the mac, just let me know.

          -K

          - R. Tyler Croy

          --
          Kerry Ivan Kurian

          Want more?
           Follow me on Twitter (@kkurian)
           Friend me on Facebook (kkurian)

          This email, including all attachments, is private and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. No use other than by my intended recipients is permitted. Thank you.