Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Installing Cheetah on Windows XP

  • James Abbatiello
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
      Hello Nick,

      I'm a bit confused about why you are extracting the downloaded files under Lib\site-packages.  The files in the .tar.gz are the installer.  When run (with "python setup.py install") it will copy/create all the required files in the appropriate places for you.  You should extract this somewhere else like C:\Cheetah and then run the install command.  After that you don't need the install directory any more and can delete it.

      All the directories you are adding to PATH shouldn't be necessary.  The only python-related things you should need in there are C:\Python24 and C:\Python24\Scripts.  Similarly you shouldn't need to muck with PYTHONPATH at all AFAIK.

      Do you have setuptools installed?  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools  If not, I highly recommend it.  The "cheetah" command-line program (and thus the tests) aren't going to work unless you have setuptools installed when running the Cheetah installer.  The good news is that setuptools also comes with a program called easy_install.  You can just run "easy_install Cheetah" from a command prompt and it'll do all the heavy lifting for you.  Of course if you want to install from the .tar.gz, that's fine too.

      I'd recommend removing everything you've done so far and starting over from scratch.  Adding files under Lib\site-packages can do weird things if you aren't aware of what you're doing.

      --
      James Abbatiello

      On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Nick <ddgnick@...> wrote:
      Hello,

      The cmd: "python setup.py install"  did execute in the windows cmd (DOS) prompt(thank you!).  The installer printed: "Pure Python installation succeeded"   (with some C extensions failing to build). However, I cannot pass any of the tests (cheetah test, etc.).

      The installation of cheetah created 3 files in the c:\python24\Scripts directory.  The files are: Cheetah, Cheetah-analyze, and Cheetah-compile.  None of the files are with extensions such as .py or .pyc or pyd.   I attempted to add extensions such as py, pyc, however, that proved unsuccessful during testing.  I removed the py or pyc extensions and the files are identical to the installer generated files.

      I also added the file: _namemapper.pyd, in the scripts directory as per the manual.

      I would appreciate your assistance.

      Kind regards,

      Nick

      On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Nickolas Kaloterakis <ddgnick@...> wrote:
      Mr. R Tyler,

      Thank you kindly.

      That worked!

      On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:08 PM, R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...> wrote:

      On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Nickolas Kaloterakis wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Requesting assistance in my attempt to install cheetah on windows XP.  I
      > have
      > miserably failed with all actions below taken.
      > Tried:
      > - Unzip/extracted and placed entire Chetah24 (renamed cheetah-2.4.2.1)
      > directory
      > and contents into C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\Cheetah24
      >
      > - Set environment variable PATH to above path and relevant python dir. PATH
      > =>C:\Program
      > Files\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM;C:\Program
      > Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\On Center
      > Software\Server;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal
      > Decisions\2.0\bin;C:\AdabasD\bin;C:\AdabasD\pgm;C:\Program
      > Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\Cheetah24;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\Cheetah24\bin;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\Cheetah24\cheetah;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\Cheetah24\cheetah
      >
      > - Appended Windows Registry variable PYTHONPATH
      > =>C:\Python24\Lib;C:\Python24\DLLs;C:\Python24\Lib\lib-tk;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\Cheetah24
      > - Re-booted computer
      >
      > - On the Python (ver 2.4) command line I typed (python output shown):
      >   File ",stdin>", line 1
      >    python setup.py install
      >               ^
      > SyntaxError: invalid syntax

      Run that command in the command prompt, not in the Python interpreter and you
      should be good to go

      - R. Tyler Ballance