Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Importing Cheetah.Template.Template unusually slow?

  • Matthew Beauregard
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010

      On 28/01/2010, at 3:48 PM, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

      On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Matthew Beauregard wrote:

      Hi,

      I was trying to speed up my CGI, and I worked out that the lion's share of execution time was taken up by the Cheetah import.  Is 0.7s unusually slow?  Where should I start in trying to speed it up?

      After removing the WebWare legacy imports in Cheetah.Servlet, I think you
      should see a speed-up in import-time on your machine. Would you mind grabbing a
      tarball from GitHub [1] and testing it for me (I don't have a Mac handy) to
      verify the fix?

      I just tested this on a 10.5 Mac running Python 2.5.1 and got the following exception:

       /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.2-py2.5.egg/Cheetah/NameMapper.py in _isInstanceOrClass(obj=<bound method Member.onLoads of <__main__.Member object at 0x1abd890>>)
        190
        191 def _isInstanceOrClass(obj):
        192     if type(obj) in (InstanceType, ClassType):
        193         # oldstyle
        194         return True
      builtin type = <type 'type'>, obj = <bound method Member.onLoads of <__main__.Member object at 0x1abd890>>, InstanceType undefined, ClassType undefined

      <type 'exceptions.NameError'>: global name 'InstanceType' is not defined

      I chucked in a "from types import InstanceType, ClassType" at the top of the file, which has got me going, but it might need looking at?

      thanks,

      Matthew

    • R. Tyler Ballance
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
        On Tue, 02 Feb 2010, Matthew Beauregard wrote:

        > On 28/01/2010, at 3:48 PM, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
        >

        > >On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Matthew Beauregard wrote:
        > >
        > >>Hi,
        > >>
        > >>I was trying to speed up my CGI, and I worked out that the
        > >>lion's share of execution time was taken up by the Cheetah
        > >>import. Is 0.7s unusually slow? Where should I start in trying
        > >>to speed it up?
        > >
        > >After removing the WebWare legacy imports in Cheetah.Servlet, I
        > >think you
        > >should see a speed-up in import-time on your machine. Would you
        > >mind grabbing a
        > >tarball from GitHub [1] and testing it for me (I don't have a Mac
        > >handy) to
        > >verify the fix?
        >
        > I just tested this on a 10.5 Mac running Python 2.5.1 and got the
        > following exception:
        >
        > /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.2-py2.5.egg/Cheetah/
        > NameMapper.py in _isInstanceOrClass(obj=<bound method Member.onLoads
        > of <__main__.Member object at 0x1abd890>>)

        Very good, but you're about a day late ;)

        http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/commit/62f5a2fe995695c1a88cef5e059192b20143afe0

        Your workaround is fine, but you might want to look into why you're not using
        the compiled namemapper

        --------------------------------------
        Jabber: rtyler@...
        GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
        Blog: http://unethicalblogger.com
      • Matthew Beauregard
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
          > Your workaround is fine, but you might want to look into why you're
          > not using
          > the compiled namemapper

          Actually, yeah, that's just bit me. There is (and has been for years)
          a difference between the C and Python NameMappers that my code
          triggers so parts of it only work with the C mapper. That's been fine
          until now when I'm trying to build from git/next.

          From what I can see the compiled mapper isn't building right for me:

          gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-
          madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -
          DMACOSX -I/usr/include/ffi -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe -
          I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/
          python2.5 -c cheetah/c/_namemapper.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.5-
          i386-2.5/cheetah/c/_namemapper.o
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function ‘setNotFoundException’:
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: implicit declaration of function
          ‘PyUnicode_FromFormat’
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: assignment makes pointer from
          integer without a cast
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function ‘setNotFoundException’:
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: implicit declaration of function
          ‘PyUnicode_FromFormat’
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: assignment makes pointer from
          integer without a cast
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function ‘wrapInternalNotFoundException’:
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:62: warning: assignment makes pointer from
          integer without a cast
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function ‘wrapInternalNotFoundException’:
          cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:62: warning: assignment makes pointer from
          integer without a cast

          So then I get:

          >>> from Cheetah._namemapper import NotFound, valueForKey, valueForName
          Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
          ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.2-
          py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/Cheetah/_namemapper.so, 2): Symbol not
          found: _PyUnicode_FromFormat
          Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.2-
          py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/Cheetah/_namemapper.so
          Expected in: dynamic lookup

          thanks,
          Matthew

        • R. Tyler Ballance
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
            On Tue, 02 Feb 2010, Matthew Beauregard wrote:

            > >Your workaround is fine, but you might want to look into why
            > >you're not using
            > >the compiled namemapper
            >
            > Actually, yeah, that's just bit me. There is (and has been for
            > years) a difference between the C and Python NameMappers that my
            > code triggers so parts of it only work with the C mapper. That's
            > been fine until now when I'm trying to build from git/next.

            Ah yes indeed, this is another thing I've messed up in the next branch and
            haven't had a chance to fix yet :)

            I made a good chunk of changes without checking Hudson to see how they were
            performing on other versions of Python and other platforms. This past weekend I
            went back to Hudson and realized my error.

            You can check out the current build results here:
            http://avocado.monkeypox.org:8080/job/Cheetah_next/

            My apologies, I typically work under Python 2.6 so I was completely oblivious
            to the breakages on Python 2.4 and 2.5

            I'll probably fix it tonight or tomorrow sometime; I'll update the thread when
            it's there

            --------------------------------------
            Jabber: rtyler@...
            GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
            Blog: http://unethicalblogger.com
          • Michael Higgins
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 9 12:05 PM
              Just downloaded the tarball from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Cheetah/2.4.2.1
              and I'm seeing similar compile problems to the ones reported below.

              I'm on OS X 10.5.8, using python 2.5.1. When I unpack the tarball and
              do python setup.py build, it spits out this:

              building 'Cheetah._namemapper' extension
              creating build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5
              creating build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/cheetah
              creating build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/cheetah/c
[...]

              ‘wrapInternalNotFoundException’:cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function
              ‘wrapInternalNotFoundException’:
              cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:62: warning: assignment makes pointer from
              integer without a cast
              cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:62: warning: assignment makes pointer from
              integer without a cast

              gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -arch i386 -arch ppc
              build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/cheetah/c/_namemapper.o -o build/
              lib.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/Cheetah/_namemapper.so

              and then the C version of the namemapper doesn't import because of
              missing symbols.

              Is there another build out there that fixes this, or is it still in
              the pipeline?

              (And thanks for all your hard work! Cheetah is great!)

              Mike

              On Feb 1, 2010, at 10:53 PM, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

> [...]
              >> ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.2-
              >> py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/Cheetah/_namemapper.so, 2): Symbol not
              >> found: _PyUnicode_FromFormat
              >> Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/Cheetah-2.4.2-
              >> py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/Cheetah/_namemapper.so
              >> Expected in: dynamic lookup
              >>
              >> thanks,
              >> Matthew
              >>
              > Cheers,
              > -R. Tyler Ballance
              > --------------------------------------
              > Jabber: rtyler@...
              > GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
              > Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
              > Blog: http://unethicalblogger.com

              > business
              > Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term
              > contracts
              > Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call

            • R. Tyler Ballance
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 9 1:26 PM
                On Tue, 09 Mar 2010, Michael Higgins wrote:

                > Just downloaded the tarball from
                > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Cheetah/2.4.2.1 and I'm seeing similar
                > compile problems to the ones reported below.
                >
                > I'm on OS X 10.5.8, using python 2.5.1. When I unpack the tarball
                > and do python setup.py build, it spits out this:

                > building 'Cheetah._namemapper' extension
                > creating build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5
                > creating build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/cheetah
                > creating build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/cheetah/c
                > gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp
                > -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -Os -Wall
                > -Wstrict-prototypes -DMACOSX -I/usr/include/ffi -DENABLE_DTRACE
                > -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe -
                > I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/
                > python2.5 -c cheetah/c/_namemapper.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.5-
                > i386-2.5/cheetah/c/_namemapper.o
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function ?setNotFoundException?:
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: implicit declaration of
                > function ?PyUnicode_FromFormat?
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: assignment makes pointer from
                > integer without a castcheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function
                > ?setNotFoundException?:
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: implicit declaration of
                > function ?PyUnicode_FromFormat?
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:38: warning: assignment makes pointer from
                > integer without a cast
                >
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function
                > ?wrapInternalNotFoundException?:cheetah/c/_namemapper.c: In function
                > ?wrapInternalNotFoundException?:
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:62: warning: assignment makes pointer from
                > integer without a cast
                > cheetah/c/_namemapper.c:62: warning: assignment makes pointer from
                > integer without a cast
                >
                > gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -arch i386 -arch ppc
                > build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/cheetah/c/_namemapper.o -o build/
                > lib.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/Cheetah/_namemapper.so
                >
                > and then the C version of the namemapper doesn't import because of
                > missing symbols.

                Looks like this is another error I've missed in the builds since we fall back
                to the pure Python Namemapper in case of error (relevant build output:
                http://hudson.brokenco.de/job/Cheetah__Next/label=Mac,namemapper=purepython,python=python25/19/console
                )

                I'll take a look at this this evening if I have the bandwidth :)