Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Cheetah with Python3

  • tyler@monkeypox.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
      On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, Alan Harris-Reid wrote:

      > I am a newbie to Python and I have started playing-around with 3.1.
      > However, I realise that most of the 3rd-party add-ons are still based on
      > version 2.5 or 2.6. Does anyone know what plans there are to port
      > Cheetah so it can run under 3.x?

      Given the number of issues with Python 3.0 I hadn't considered it to be
      honest. I'm curious as to whether the Python team has corrected a number
      of the performance deficiencies in 3.1?

      That said, You're the first person to register any sort of demand for
      Cheetah on Python 3.xx that I've heard of (patches welcome!), but at
      this point there's not a lot of "production" usage that warrants
      updating Cheetah for 3.xx.

      --------------------------------------
      GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
      Blog: http://unethicalblogger.com
    • Aahz
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
        On Sun, Nov 01, 2009, tyler@... wrote:

        > Given the number of issues with Python 3.0 I hadn't considered it to be
        > honest. I'm curious as to whether the Python team has corrected a number
        > of the performance deficiencies in 3.1?

        Definitely! At least, so I hear; pressures from my new job and other
        stuff have kept me somewhat out of the loop lately.

        I know that there's an experimental branch of Django for 3.x and I think
        it would be worthwhile to at least try 2to3 on Cheetah to see what
        happens. If nothing else, the core developers would appreciate knowing
        what roadblocks you hit, because they really want 3rd party libraries to
        start moving toward 3.x.
        --
        Aahz (aahz@...) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

        "You could make Eskimos emigrate to the Sahara by vigorously arguing --
        at hundreds of screens' length -- for the wonder, beauty, and utility of
        snow." --PNH to rb in r.a.sf.f

      • Alan Harris-Reid
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
          tyler@... wrote:
          On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, Alan Harris-Reid wrote:

          I am a newbie to Python and I have started playing-around with 3.1.
          However, I realise that most of the 3rd-party add-ons are still based on
          version 2.5 or 2.6.  Does anyone know what plans there are to port
          Cheetah so it can run under 3.x?

          Given the number of issues with Python 3.0 I hadn't considered it to be
          honest. I'm curious as to whether the Python team has corrected a number
          of the performance deficiencies in 3.1?

          That said, You're the first person to register any sort of demand for
          Cheetah on Python 3.xx that I've heard of (patches welcome!), but at
          this point there's not a lot of "production" usage that warrants
          updating Cheetah for 3.xx.

          --------------------------------------
           GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
          Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
             Blog: http://unethicalblogger.com
          Thanks for the reply Tyler -  I suppose it's a case of waiting until a 'critical mass' of Python developers move-over to 3.x before the 3rd-party developers have an incentive to update their products.  (What comes 1st, the chicken or the egg?)

          Regards,
          Alan
        • tyler@monkeypox.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
            On Mon, 02 Nov 2009, Alan Harris-Reid wrote:

            > Thanks for the reply Tyler - I suppose it's a case of waiting until
            > a 'critical mass' of Python developers move-over to 3.x before the
            > 3rd-party developers have an incentive to update their products.
            > (What comes 1st, the chicken or the egg?)

            I went ahead and installed 3.1 on my laptop the other day after the beginning
            of this thread, if that's any consolation ;)

            Anyways, the vast majority of Cheetah was written by Tavis for an older version
            of Cheetah (just officially killed "support" for 2.3), I've just been keeping
            the place clean since. From my initial look, it's not going to be difficult to
            run on Python 3.xx, just tedious.

            Ideally I'd like to keep the same tree for Python 2.4-3.1 if possible. If
            you've got cycles to spare, fork git://github.com/rtyler/cheetah.git
            (http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah) and start poking about with 2to3.

            I'd like to support Python 3, if for nothing other than bragging rights, but I
            just don't have a lot of extra bandwidth right now

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009

              tyler@... wrote:
[...]

              Unfortunately my knowledge of Python isn't good enough yet to go 'poking around' with anything!  I am starting to get going with 3.1, and I know I will need some sort of templating soon for the work I intend to do, but AFAIK there's none that work with 3.x.  From from the templating add-ons I've seen of it so far, Cheetah is one of the most programmer-friendly, so it will be interesting to see if/when it is ported-over.

              Of course I could have started with 2.6 (and maybe should have), but that seems a backward step somehow.

              Regards,
              Alan