[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Cheetah with Python3

  • Alan Harris-Reid
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
      I am a newbie to Python and I have started playing-around with 3.1.
      However, I realise that most of the 3rd-party add-ons are still based on
      version 2.5 or 2.6. Does anyone know what plans there are to port
      Cheetah so it can run under 3.x?

      TIA
      Alan

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
        On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, Alan Harris-Reid wrote:

        > I am a newbie to Python and I have started playing-around with 3.1.
        > However, I realise that most of the 3rd-party add-ons are still based on
        > version 2.5 or 2.6. Does anyone know what plans there are to port
        > Cheetah so it can run under 3.x?

        Given the number of issues with Python 3.0 I hadn't considered it to be
        honest. I'm curious as to whether the Python team has corrected a number
        of the performance deficiencies in 3.1?

        That said, You're the first person to register any sort of demand for
        Cheetah on Python 3.xx that I've heard of (patches welcome!), but at
        this point there's not a lot of "production" usage that warrants
        updating Cheetah for 3.xx.

        --------------------------------------
        GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
        Blog: http://unethicalblogger.com
      • Aahz
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
          On Sun, Nov 01, 2009, tyler@... wrote:

          > Given the number of issues with Python 3.0 I hadn't considered it to be
          > honest. I'm curious as to whether the Python team has corrected a number
          > of the performance deficiencies in 3.1?

          Definitely! At least, so I hear; pressures from my new job and other
          stuff have kept me somewhat out of the loop lately.

          I know that there's an experimental branch of Django for 3.x and I think
          it would be worthwhile to at least try 2to3 on Cheetah to see what
          happens. If nothing else, the core developers would appreciate knowing
          what roadblocks you hit, because they really want 3rd party libraries to
          start moving toward 3.x.
          --
          Aahz (aahz@...) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

          "You could make Eskimos emigrate to the Sahara by vigorously arguing --
          at hundreds of screens' length -- for the wonder, beauty, and utility of
          snow." --PNH to rb in r.a.sf.f

        • Alan Harris-Reid
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
            tyler@... wrote:
            On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, Alan Harris-Reid wrote:

            I am a newbie to Python and I have started playing-around with 3.1.
            However, I realise that most of the 3rd-party add-ons are still based on
            version 2.5 or 2.6.  Does anyone know what plans there are to port
            Cheetah so it can run under 3.x?

            Given the number of issues with Python 3.0 I hadn't considered it to be
            honest. I'm curious as to whether the Python team has corrected a number
            of the performance deficiencies in 3.1?

            That said, You're the first person to register any sort of demand for
            Cheetah on Python 3.xx that I've heard of (patches welcome!), but at
            this point there's not a lot of "production" usage that warrants
            updating Cheetah for 3.xx.

            --------------------------------------
             GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
               Blog: http://unethicalblogger.com
            Thanks for the reply Tyler -  I suppose it's a case of waiting until a 'critical mass' of Python developers move-over to 3.x before the 3rd-party developers have an incentive to update their products.  (What comes 1st, the chicken or the egg?)

            Regards,
            Alan
          • tyler@monkeypox.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
              On Mon, 02 Nov 2009, Alan Harris-Reid wrote:

              > Thanks for the reply Tyler - I suppose it's a case of waiting until
              > a 'critical mass' of Python developers move-over to 3.x before the
              > 3rd-party developers have an incentive to update their products.
              > (What comes 1st, the chicken or the egg?)

              I went ahead and installed 3.1 on my laptop the other day after the beginning
              of this thread, if that's any consolation ;)

              Anyways, the vast majority of Cheetah was written by Tavis for an older version
              of Cheetah (just officially killed "support" for 2.3), I've just been keeping
              the place clean since. From my initial look, it's not going to be difficult to
              run on Python 3.xx, just tedious.

              Ideally I'd like to keep the same tree for Python 2.4-3.1 if possible. If
              you've got cycles to spare, fork git://github.com/rtyler/cheetah.git
              (http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah) and start poking about with 2to3.

              I'd like to support Python 3, if for nothing other than bragging rights, but I
              just don't have a lot of extra bandwidth right now

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009

                tyler@... wrote:
[...]

                Unfortunately my knowledge of Python isn't good enough yet to go 'poking around' with anything!  I am starting to get going with 3.1, and I know I will need some sort of templating soon for the work I intend to do, but AFAIK there's none that work with 3.x.  From from the templating add-ons I've seen of it so far, Cheetah is one of the most programmer-friendly, so it will be interesting to see if/when it is ported-over.

                Of course I could have started with 2.6 (and maybe should have), but that seems a backward step somehow.

                Regards,
                Alan