[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Cheetah 1.0 vs Cheetah 2.2

  • Hansen, Mike
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29 9:32 AM
      Hi,

      I have an app running on Python 2.3 that uses Cheetah 1.0. If I upgraded Python to 2.6 and Cheetah 2.2 would there be any issues? Did the API change from Cheetah 1.0 to 2.2? I used compiled templates. Would I just have to recompile the templates to use 2.2?

      Thanks,

      Mike

    • R. Tyler Ballance
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29 9:55 AM
        On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Hansen, Mike wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have an app running on Python 2.3 that uses Cheetah 1.0. If I upgraded Python to 2.6 and Cheetah 2.2 would there be any issues? Did the API change from Cheetah 1.0 to 2.2? I used compiled templates. Would I just have to recompile the templates to use 2.2?

        As of Cheetah 2.0rc6 you will need to recompile all your templates that
        you use for the newer versions of Cheetah.

        It is also worth noting that as of v2.2.2 we still maintain backwards
        compatibility with Python 2.3 :)

        Let us know if you have any more specific questions we can help with :)

        Cheers
        -R. Tyler Ballance
        Slide, Inc.
      • Bogdano Arendartchuk
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29 10:03 AM
          2009/9/29 Hansen, Mike <Mike.Hansen@...>:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have an app running on Python 2.3 that uses Cheetah 1.0. If I upgraded Python to 2.6 and Cheetah 2.2 would there be any issues? Did the API change from Cheetah 1.0 to 2.2? I used compiled templates. Would I just have to recompile the templates to use 2.2?

          The only problem I had was with the handing of empty blocks. For example:

          #if $foo
          ## Something was commented out
          #end if

          Which results in IndentationError.

          --
          Bogdano Arendartchuk

        • R. Tyler Ballance
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29 10:07 AM
            On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Bogdano Arendartchuk wrote:

            > 2009/9/29 Hansen, Mike <Mike.Hansen@...>:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I have an app running on Python 2.3 that uses Cheetah 1.0. If I upgraded Python to 2.6 and Cheetah 2.2 would there be any issues? Did the API change from Cheetah 1.0 to 2.2? I used compiled templates. Would I just have to recompile the templates to use 2.2?
            > >

            > The only problem I had was with the handing of empty blocks. For example:
            >
            > #if $foo
            > ## Something was commented out
            > #end if
            >
            > Which results in IndentationError.

            Ah yes, we had this issue moving from 1.0 to 2.0 as well (mostly with
            old code), Cheetah does support the "#pass" directive, so you can use
            that to fill in those blocks:

            #if $foo
            #pass
            #end if

            Cheers

            -R. Tyler Ballance
            Slide, Inc.
          • Hansen, Mike
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 29 10:50 AM

              Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound too hard to upgrade.