[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Call for testers! v2.2.2 is on the chopping block :)

  • R. Tyler Ballance
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hello everybody! Long time no see :)

      I have been swamped lately with non-Cheetah related activities, and had
      a number of good patches to improve Windows support courtesy of abbeyj@,
      so I think now's as good of a time as any to start the v2.2.2 release
      process.

      I have created a v2.2.2rc4 tarball after going through some internal
      testing here at Slide.

      Download:
      http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/tarball/v2.2.2rc4
      http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/zipball/v2.2.2rc4

      The changes in this release are:
      - 0000010: [Templates] Failure to execute templates on Google App Engine
      - 0000026: [Compiler] Support multiple inheritance
      - Additionss of a couple new C modules
      - Improvements to setup.py to support building for Windows (thanks abbeyj!)
      - Improvements to C-based NameMapper for Windows
      - Fixes for a swath of unit tests on Windows
      - Fix for unicode/utf-8 dynamic compilation error (thanks mikeb!)
      (http://urlenco.de/wwsmxaqc)

      Things are looking fairly good in Hudson [1] but I'd appreciate
      third-party beta testing on this while we test it internally at Slide
      before I push a v2.2.2 this weekend.

      Cheers :)

      -R. Tyler Ballance
      Slide, Inc.

      [1] http://hudson.cheetahtemplate.org
    • Jacob Feisley
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
        Hey everyone,

        Nice work Tyler on the Windows improvements. I tested and it builds properly under both the mingw32 compiler as well as the MSVC compiler. I built binaries for 2.2.2rc4 for anyone on windows that wants to test before the final release but lacks a compiler to do so.

        http://feisley.com/python/cheetah/2.2.2rc4/

        Cheers,

        Jacob

        (Tyler, sorry about the duplicate email ;)

        On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM, R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Jean-Baptiste Quenot
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
          2009/9/3 R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...>:
          > Hello everybody! Long time no see :)
          >
          > I have been swamped lately with non-Cheetah related activities, and had
          > a number of good patches to improve Windows support courtesy of abbeyj@,
          > so I think now's as good of a time as any to start the v2.2.2 release
          > process.
          >
          > I have created a v2.2.2rc4 tarball after going through some internal
          > testing here at Slide.
          >
          > Download:
          >        http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/tarball/v2.2.2rc4
          >        http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/zipball/v2.2.2rc4
          >
          > The changes in this release are:
          >  - 0000010: [Templates] Failure to execute templates on Google App Engine
          >  - 0000026: [Compiler] Support multiple inheritance
          >  - Additionss of a couple new C modules
          >  - Improvements to setup.py to support building for Windows (thanks abbeyj!)
          >  - Improvements to C-based NameMapper for Windows
          >  - Fixes for a swath of unit tests on Windows
          >  - Fix for unicode/utf-8 dynamic compilation error (thanks mikeb!)
          >   (http://urlenco.de/wwsmxaqc)
          >
          > Things are looking fairly good in Hudson [1] but I'd appreciate
          > third-party beta testing on this while we test it internally at Slide
          > before I push a v2.2.2 this weekend.

          Hi there,

          Thanks for the fixes and new release.

          You have a very nice Hudson installation, with pretty "Git Build Data"
          links. Where do you host this? Which version of the Git plugin are
          you using, it's a custom version I guess?
          --
          Jean-Baptiste Quenot
          http://jbq.caraldi.com/

        • Gerold Penz
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
            R. Tyler Ballance schrieb:
            > I have created a v2.2.2rc4 tarball after going through some internal
            > testing here at Slide.
            >
            > Download:
            > http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/tarball/v2.2.2rc4
            > http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/zipball/v2.2.2rc4

            Hello!

            I´ve testet to install it on Windows XP Pro. No C/C++-compiler
            installed. ``setup.py install`` exits with
            "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".

            See: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/137741/

            Regards,
            Gerold
            :-)

            --
            Waldhart Software
            A-6405 Pfaffenhofen, Unterdorf 145

          • Jacob Feisley
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
              Gerold,

              You have to have a C compiler on windows to perform the build. e.g.: the Microsoft Visual C compiler.
              You can also use the free mingw32 compiler option for python. Both work with Cheetah.

              If you don't want to do that, I prebuilt Windows binaries so that users don't have to install a compiler if they dont already have one.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
                Jacob Feisley schrieb:
                > You have to have a C compiler on windows to perform the build.

                Hello!

                I think, the ``setup.py install`` installation should exit without
                errors, even if I don´t have a C compiler installed. The C compiler is
                (I think) only needed for the optimized "_namemapper.pyd".

                Many people don´t really need an optimized "_namemapper.pyd" on Windows.
                They need a functioning Cheetah to develop there applications.

                I feel it as as step back, if ``setup.py install`` implicitly needs a C
                compiler to run without errors.

                Regards,
                Gerold
                :-)

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
                  Moin Gerold!

                  Gerold Penz schrieb am Donnerstag, den 03. September 2009:

                  > Jacob Feisley schrieb:
                  > > You have to have a C compiler on windows to perform the build.
                  >
                  > Hello!
                  >
                  > I think, the ``setup.py install`` installation should exit without
                  > errors, even if I don´t have a C compiler installed. The C compiler is
                  > (I think) only needed for the optimized "_namemapper.pyd".

                  This is a fair point, abbeyj@ pointed me to something on IRC tha I'll
                  check out and we'll try to repair prior to a v2.2.2rc5

                  > Many people don´t really need an optimized "_namemapper.pyd" on Windows.
                  > They need a functioning Cheetah to develop there applications.

                  Agreed.

                  > I feel it as as step back, if ``setup.py install`` implicitly needs a C
                  > compiler to run without errors.

                  See above, give me today to come up with a fix, I'll update the thread
                  with the links to the v2.2.2rc5 tarballs and zips

                  Cheers

                  -R. Tyler Ballance
                  Slide, Inc.
                • Jacob Feisley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
                    I also agree that it should be easy to install Cheetah without a compiler.

                    The two options I see are either a) to add an argument to the setup.py build command to specify if you want the C extensions compiled. or b) provide pre-compiled binaries or eggs of the current version.

                    Generally, I have seen more of the latter, but one project I work on (PyAMF http://pyamf.org) uses optional build arguments to add the C extensions so that it never fails to build or install from source.

                    Cheers,

                    Jacob

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
                      On Thu, 03 Sep 2009, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
                      > Hi there,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the fixes and new release.
                      >
                      > You have a very nice Hudson installation, with pretty "Git Build Data"
                      > links. Where do you host this? Which version of the Git plugin are
                      > you using, it's a custom version I guess?

                      I have a machine colocated where I run Hudson in the Winstone container,
                      below are some screenshots linked from the job configuration page. I've
                      got the Cheetah (next) job (for example) configured as a
                      multiconfiguration job to build and test Cheetah on the four versions of
                      Python we currently support: 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6

                      I am using the GitHub plugin (0.2) and the Git plugin (0.7.3), not sure
                      where that Git Build Data stuff comes from to be honest, I've typically
                      seen it under a "Changes" link.

                      http://agentdero.cachefly.net/cheetahtemplate.org/images/cheetahhudson.jpeg
                      http://agentdero.cachefly.net/cheetahtemplate.org/images/cheetahhudson2.jpeg

                      Cheers