Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] User-contributed recipes/documentation

  • R. Tyler Ballance
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2009
      On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 04:02:05PM -0700, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
      > Over the weekend I started working on writing some Cheetah documentation
      > in Cheetah and I suppose I should at least share my work (thus far).

      I started playing with Sphinx today (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) and I
      think I might just move everything over into Sphinx land.

      I'm hoping to recreate the user's guide and get more comprehensive, and
      alive, documentation going with Sphinx (which primarily uses
      reStructured text, similar to Markdown).

      The little bit of code I toyed around with for the "current" recipes
      stuff linked in the parent post was fun, but unfortunately the macro
      support in Cheetah I don't think is good enough for me to use Cheetah to
      document itself.

      Tavis and I will likely be working together more in the near future on
      merging communitycheetah.org and cheetahtemplate.org together so Sphinx
      will suit the new set up much better IMHO.

      Just letting you folks know :)

      > These 'recipes' are written in Markdown, a very writer-friendly format
      > (http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics)
      > and are stored inside the source repository to maintain history (I could
      > not find a suitable wiki system that could store history inside of Git
      > to keep things centralized).
      >

      > The recipes you can find are here: http://communitycheetah.org/recipes/
      >
      > That list is autogenerated from the markdown documents in the
      > "recipes/content/" folder:
      > http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/tree/3cd30c6ee108729d880be89f9dcda2b71313f44e/recipes/content
      >
      > I'll ping the list when I finish up the two documents I'm currently
      > working on, and when I finish a meta-recipe on how to write recipes :)
      >

      > If you have any recipes of your own, feel free to fork and commit, or
      > throw it up somewhere (pastebin, etc) and ping me and I'll add it to the
      > repo.
      >

      > Cheers
      > --
      > -R. Tyler Ballance
      > Slide, Inc.

      Slide, Inc.
    • mobiledreamers@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
        Will that me made documented and complete

        Cheetah macros
        What is it used for ?

        is it like #def?
        On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM, R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...> wrote:
        On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 03:55:59AM -0700, mobiledreamers@... wrote:
        >    , but unfortunately the macro
        >    support in Cheetah I don't think is good enough for me to use Cheetah to
        >    document itself.
        >
        >    Can you explain what is a Cheetah macro? or where do u need macros in
        >    documenting?

        Given that the macro support is not documented and not complete, I'm not
        going to go into details. Sorry

> [...]
        >      professionals. Meet
        >      > the minds behind Google Creative Lab, Visual Complexity, Processing, &
        >      > iPhoneDevCamp as they present alongside digital heavyweights like
        >      Barbarian
        >      > Group, R/GA, & Big Spaceship. http://p.sf.net/sfu/creativitycat-com
        >      > Cheetahtemplate-discuss mailing list
        >      > Cheetahtemplate-discuss@...
        >
        >      --
        >      -R. Tyler Ballance
        >      Slide, Inc.
        >      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        >      Register Now for Creativity and Technology (CaT), June 3rd, NYC. CaT
        >      is a gathering of tech-side developers & brand creativity professionals.
        >      Meet
        >      the minds behind Google Creative Lab, Visual Complexity, Processing, &
        >      iPhoneDevCamp as they present alongside digital heavyweights like

        Slide, Inc.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
          On Sun, 31 May 2009, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

          > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 04:02:05PM -0700, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
          >> Over the weekend I started working on writing some Cheetah documentation
          >> in Cheetah and I suppose I should at least share my work (thus far).
          >
          > I started playing with Sphinx today (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) and I
          > think I might just move everything over into Sphinx land.
          >
          > I'm hoping to recreate the user's guide and get more comprehensive, and
          > alive, documentation going with Sphinx (which primarily uses
          > reStructured text, similar to Markdown).
          >
          > The little bit of code I toyed around with for the "current" recipes
          > stuff linked in the parent post was fun, but unfortunately the macro
          > support in Cheetah I don't think is good enough for me to use Cheetah to
          > document itself.

          It sounds like you were trying to use the macro stuff for something it's
          not intended for: embedding raw chunks of cheetah source that should not be
          parsed or compiled. I'd suggest you look at the #raw directive or the
          compiler settings 'cheetahVarStartToken', 'directiveStartToken', etc.

          As an aside, if no one is using the #macro stuff I wouldn't object to
          ripping it out. I now have a much cleaner, simpler way of accomplishing
          what I wanted from it.

        • R. Tyler Ballance
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
            On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:09:06PM -0700, Tavis Rudd wrote:
            > On Sun, 31 May 2009, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
            >
            >> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 04:02:05PM -0700, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
            >>> Over the weekend I started working on writing some Cheetah documentation
            >>> in Cheetah and I suppose I should at least share my work (thus far).
            >>
            >> I started playing with Sphinx today (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) and I
            >> think I might just move everything over into Sphinx land.
            >>
            >> I'm hoping to recreate the user's guide and get more comprehensive, and
            >> alive, documentation going with Sphinx (which primarily uses
            >> reStructured text, similar to Markdown).
            >>
            >> The little bit of code I toyed around with for the "current" recipes
            >> stuff linked in the parent post was fun, but unfortunately the macro
            >> support in Cheetah I don't think is good enough for me to use Cheetah to
            >> document itself.
            >
            > It sounds like you were trying to use the macro stuff for something it's
            > not intended for: embedding raw chunks of cheetah source that should not
            > be parsed or compiled. I'd suggest you look at the #raw directive or the
            > compiler settings 'cheetahVarStartToken', 'directiveStartToken', etc.

            Not quite, I was using macros as a way of further extending Cheetah
            syntax via Cheetah itself :) Very "turtles all the way down" sort of
            stuff ;)

            I was basically trying to combine Markdown with some custom defined
            macros like `#highlight/#end highlight` (for source highlighting) to
            extend Cheetah to be more documenting friendly (the task I was working
            on).

            > As an aside, if no one is using the #macro stuff I wouldn't object to
            > ripping it out. I now have a much cleaner, simpler way of accomplishing
            > what I wanted from it.

            The macro stuff isn't bloody documented except for terse code snippets
            and the bits in the CHANGES.txt of old, which is where I gleaned my
            knowledge of it from ;).

            I don't think it should be ripped out, I'm kind of fond of expressing
            new directives experimentally as macros, and then seeing whether they
            should be incorporated more directly into the core of Cheetah
            (unfortunately currently macro support makes this implausible)

            Cheers
            Slide, Inc.
          • paul jobs
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
              #macro
              What does it do?
              thanks

              On 6/1/09, Tavis Rudd <tavis@...> wrote:

              On Sun, 31 May 2009, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

              > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 04:02:05PM -0700, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
              >> Over the weekend I started working on writing some Cheetah documentation
              >> in Cheetah and I suppose I should at least share my work (thus far).
              >
              > I started playing with Sphinx today (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) and I
              > think I might just move everything over into Sphinx land.
              >
              > I'm hoping to recreate the user's guide and get more comprehensive, and
              > alive, documentation going with Sphinx (which primarily uses
              > reStructured text, similar to Markdown).
              >
              > The little bit of code I toyed around with for the "current" recipes
              > stuff linked in the parent post was fun, but unfortunately the macro
              > support in Cheetah I don't think is good enough for me to use Cheetah to
              > document itself.

              It sounds like you were trying to use the macro stuff for something it's
              not intended for: embedding raw chunks of cheetah source that should not be
              parsed or compiled.  I'd suggest you look at the #raw directive or the
              compiler settings 'cheetahVarStartToken', 'directiveStartToken', etc.

              As an aside, if no one is using the #macro stuff I wouldn't object to
              ripping it out.  I now have a much cleaner, simpler way of accomplishing
              what I wanted from it.

              BidEgg - Worlds best low price Auction site
              http://bidegg.com
            • paul jobs
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
                2.0rc4 (Jan 31, 2006)
                  !!!THIS RELEASE REQUIRES RECOMPILATION OF ALL COMPILED CHEETAH TEMPLATES!!!
                  Core Changes: [TR]
                    - fixed a typo-bug in the compile hashing code in Template.compile()
                    - improved the macros framework and made it possible to implement macros in
                      Python code so they can be shared between templates
                    - more work on the #i18n directive.  It's now a macro directive.
                    - added new Cheetah.Macros package
                    - more tests

                What does #macro or
                Cheetah.Macros do?

                Is it like Cheetah.Control?
              • R. Tyler Ballance
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
                  On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:22:09PM -0700, paul jobs wrote:
                  > 2.0rc4 (Jan 31, 2006)
                  > !!!THIS RELEASE REQUIRES RECOMPILATION OF ALL COMPILED CHEETAH
                  > TEMPLATES!!!
                  > Core Changes: [TR]
                  > - fixed a typo-bug in the compile hashing code in Template.compile()
                  > - improved the macros framework and made it possible to implement
                  > macros in
                  > Python code so they can be shared between templates
                  > - more work on the #i18n directive. It's now a macro directive.
                  > - added new Cheetah.Macros package
                  > - more tests
                  >
                  > What does #macro or
                  > Cheetah.Macros do?

                  If you can grok the code, you can find uot what macros are for.
                  Otherwise, I'd like to leave them thoroughly undocumented and unfit for
                  public consumption since Tavis and I haven't really reached a consensus
                  on where to go with macro support in Cheetah.

                  > Is it like Cheetah.Control?

                  No
                  Slide, Inc.