Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Tavis Rudd

  • Michael DeHaan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2009
      R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
      > For the list's edification, I'll be coordinating as much as I can with
      > Tavis through private email, I'll keep you all apprised of what's going
      > on.
      >
      > Crap, I'm top-posting, Juha's gonna kill me :-!

      Another problem, Tavis hasn't released Cheetah since November 2007.

      Whether or not someone goes on a 6th month vacation, we need more
      frequent releases if this is to continue to get used in mission-critical
      software.

      More reason for letting Tyler take things over permanently, IMHO.

      --Michael

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2009
        More reason for letting Tyler take things over permanently, IMHO.
        +10
        Tyler our new cheetah overlord

        Bidegg worlds best auction site
        http://bidegg.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2009
          Hi Juha,
          See the message I sent to the list last night. Thanks again for making an
          effort to contact me directly! Had someone done this earlier rather than
          just cc'ing me on list messages which were being filtered a lot of
          confusion/speculation could have been avoided (though it's fair to say
          that the whole mess would have been avoided if I had simply announced my
          vacation on the list!).
          Tavis

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2009
            Michael and mobiledreamers,
            Please read the long email I sent to Tyler and the list today then read my
            comments below ...

            There are several things that annoy me about your emails yesterday.

            First, I have not been offline from Cheetah for 6 months as you seem to
            suggest. When I last checked my Cheetah mail on Jan. 2nd, 2009 and at
            that time there had been no messages since Oct. 21st, 2008.

            Second, Michael you have complained several times that the last release
            was '2 years ago' (it was barely over a year when I left btw). As I
            pointed out in the other email, all contributed patches were already in
            the CVS and were accessible to all. There were zero outstanding patches
            when I left. And the 3 patches that hadn't been released in a formal
            tarball were relatively minor. There were no reports of them bothering
            anyone other than the original contributors.

            Third, I have already agreed that it is good for the health of the Cheetah
            community to have a new 'maintainer' and expressed gratitude for Tyler's
            initiative. So what was the point of those emails? Were they just to
            spite me?

            Finally, open source projects are driven by those who *get stuff done* not
            those that *talk* or *vote* (especially when no vote is needed). Neither
            of you have ever contributed a patch, helped update documentation or
            volunteered in any other way. Michael, after Tyler created his fork you
            complained that I hadn't fixed the Python 2.6 warnings. If this was such
            an issue for you, where was your patch - for me or for Tyler? Tyler has
            established himself as someone who does *get stuff done* and I think he
            will be a good maintainer. When you bitch about me please remember that
            Cheetah would not exist if I didn't get stuff done as well: creating it,
            evolving it (1100+ cvs commits), incorporating patches, creating releases
            (I've personally cut 70 releases over a period of 8 years), publicizing
            it, and writing thousands of emails related to it.

            Rather than griping from the sidelines, please help Tyler out with
            patches, documentation updates or whatever you can contribute. Otherwise,
            you just sound like the old grumps from the balcony of the Muppet Show.
            I'm sure you're better than that.

            Tavis