Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] Cheetah Community Edition v2.1.0

  • Michael DeHaan
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 19, 2009
      Mike Orr wrote:
      > On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Mike Orr wrote:
      >>
      >>> Tavis is supporting Cheetah now; I'm not using it currently. i can
      >>> help with things off the top of my head, which is mainly syntax issues
      >>> rather than development.
      >>>
      >> What do you mean by "Tavis is supporting Cheetah now", when he hasn't posted
      >> to the list in four months?
      >>

      > Tavis tends to dip in and out as work priorities allow. I don't know
      > what he's doing now.

      >> Is this saying Mike maintaining the upstream project now?
      >>

      > Er, which upstream project? I'm not maintaining Cheetah or Git*. I
      > stopped using Cheetah a year ago and unsubscribed from the list. I'm
      > now using Mako, which is similar to Cheetah in design but written more
      > recently, so it has smart HTML escaping, a template lookup object,
      > auto-compiled templates, expressions without internal $, an excellent
      > manual and support, etc.

      The previous email from mobiledreamers seemed to imply you had
      ownership, and ergo a fork was not needed in order to incorporate user
      patches.

      Just checking with you to confirm/deny.

      I am leaning on +1 in favor of calling it abandoned, myself.

      My application (http://fedorahosted.org/cobbler) has a lot of existing
      Cheetah templates, so it's important that we get things like Py 2.6
      deprecation and such fixed (not just for Fedora, but other distros).

      Support for other templating engines /is/ something I could hack in, but
      keeping the existing one maintained is quite important too.

      --Michael

      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 28 1:50 PM
        From What mike orr told me over the last 2years is he is not going to maintain cheetah anymore
        and actively asked me to switch to mako

        Considering that i say it is very healthy to have Tyler maintain Cheetah

        Gmail top-posts

        On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM, R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...> wrote:
        On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:19:08AM +0300, Juha Tuomala wrote:
        > On Monday 27 April 2009 22:05:57 R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
        > > Apologies for top-posting on this ancient thread.
        >
        > Please don't, either.

        Heh, yes sir!

        Hey, at least I didn't send an HTML email ;)

        > > It has come to my attention that my Abandoned Project Take-over request
        > > with SourceForge.net has been approved and as of now I have
        > > administrator access to the "cheetahtemplate" project on SourceForge.
        >
        > I has crossed my mind that has anyone tried to call him?

        To humour you, I just went ahead and tried (since it's effectively the
        same calling from the US to Canada)

        > > Administrative, Technical Contact:
        > > Rudd, Tavis tavis@...
        > > DamnSimple Solutions
        > > #1106 189 Davie Street
        > > Vancouver, BC V6Z 2X9
        > > CA
        > > 604-787-2204

        Disconnected

        > > 604-921-7853

        Jan and David live there now, they sound nice.

        My personal feelings on the ethos of open source is along the lines of
        Michael's such that projects exist in more of a community realm. That is
        not to say I don't understand your concerns for Tavis and *his* project.
        Tavis has created something wonderful that's been quite useful to me,
        and I believe many of you. I feel it would be disingenuous of us to let
        his project languish in his absence.

        I certainly don't want to split off from the original goals Tavis
        outlined for Cheetah. From communitycheetah.org:

               Why Community Cheetah:
                       The primary motivations for the Community Cheetah fork is to
                       maintain active development outside of the currently-stale
                       Cheetah CVS tree. Community Cheetah isn't meant to diverge from
                       the main goals of Cheetah: speed, ease of use and stability, but
                       rather Community Cheetah is meant to reinvirgorate the community
                       surrounding Cheetah and provide monthly releases incorporating
                       patches and improvements to the engine.

        End of the day, I don't want to replace Tavis or take the project in a
        different direction, I want to help Tavis' "pet project" (as you put it)
        grow up and continue to live on regardless of whether or not Tavis is
        here to care for it.

        Consider me the house keeper until Tavis gets back ;)

        Cheers
        Slide, Inc.

        Bidegg worlds best auction site
        http://bidegg.com