Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] Cheetah Community Edition v2.1.0

  • R. Tyler Ballance
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 17, 2009
      On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:12:23AM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:

      >> The one nice thing about GitHub in this case is that the Cheetah CE
      >> repository is public and anybody can fork (it's encouraged!) off of it
      >> in order to create patches. GitHub provides a nice interface for
      >> upstream project maintainers to properly incorporate downstream patches
      >> from individuals (http://github.com/blog/270-the-fork-queue)
      >>
      >> That said, I do think it's helpful to post patches to the mailing list
      >> for general code review and discuss, but also so everybody is aprised on
      >> the specifics of bugs and their fixes as the project moves forward.
      >>

      > Github's calling that "forking" is a bit weird in terms of technology
      > (I'd call that a remote branch), but I do love git and
      > github does make it easy.
      >
      > It still does help to have one official "upstream" tree.

      I agree, I don't think there's any problem with making my GitHub repo
      the "upstream" repository (as opposed to hosting something elsewhere).
      The new SourceForge git support is interesting, but GitHub definitely
      has made a lot of nice stuff and in short order.

      > So sourceforge does have a project takeover process if we need it?

      The only thing I found was this:
      http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Abandoned%20Project%20Takeovers

      I don't intend on pinging SourceForge Support for at least a couple
      weeks (not sure what a good wait time is).

      I updated the _SiteTemplate.tmpl in www/ and pushed it to the gh-pages
      branch which is responsible for this content:
      http://rtyler.github.com/cheetah/ (awesome Gimp skill on the logo huh? :))
      (I also updated the credits.html to include recent patch contributors)

      I've lost motivation for the night to figure out how to generate a new
      set of docs for all the TeX files that are responsible for the Cheetah
      docs, not knowing TeX has something to do with that I presume. I'd
      welcome any help on that from you guys :)

      I feel like we should be coming up with an agenda, or at least some
      semblance of a list of bugs that need resolving, etc; projects with
      goals and TODOs tend to do well. The only two things on my list are
      updated/more tests and starting some speed optimizations (we spend some
      amount of time filling templates). Other things like Py3k come to mind,
      but is Python 3000 even necessary at this point?

      Ideally I'd like to get a point release per-month if possible (if there
      are changes there to be released).

      Cheers
      Slide, Inc.
    • mobiledreamers@gmail.com
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 28, 2009
        From What mike orr told me over the last 2years is he is not going to maintain cheetah anymore
        and actively asked me to switch to mako

        Considering that i say it is very healthy to have Tyler maintain Cheetah

        Gmail top-posts

        On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM, R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...> wrote:
        On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:19:08AM +0300, Juha Tuomala wrote:
        > On Monday 27 April 2009 22:05:57 R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
        > > Apologies for top-posting on this ancient thread.
        >
        > Please don't, either.

        Heh, yes sir!

        Hey, at least I didn't send an HTML email ;)

        > > It has come to my attention that my Abandoned Project Take-over request
        > > with SourceForge.net has been approved and as of now I have
        > > administrator access to the "cheetahtemplate" project on SourceForge.
        >
        > I has crossed my mind that has anyone tried to call him?

        To humour you, I just went ahead and tried (since it's effectively the
        same calling from the US to Canada)

        > > Administrative, Technical Contact:
        > > Rudd, Tavis tavis@...
        > > DamnSimple Solutions
        > > #1106 189 Davie Street
        > > Vancouver, BC V6Z 2X9
        > > CA
        > > 604-787-2204

        Disconnected

        > > 604-921-7853

        Jan and David live there now, they sound nice.

        My personal feelings on the ethos of open source is along the lines of
        Michael's such that projects exist in more of a community realm. That is
        not to say I don't understand your concerns for Tavis and *his* project.
        Tavis has created something wonderful that's been quite useful to me,
        and I believe many of you. I feel it would be disingenuous of us to let
        his project languish in his absence.

        I certainly don't want to split off from the original goals Tavis
        outlined for Cheetah. From communitycheetah.org:

               Why Community Cheetah:
                       The primary motivations for the Community Cheetah fork is to
                       maintain active development outside of the currently-stale
                       Cheetah CVS tree. Community Cheetah isn't meant to diverge from
                       the main goals of Cheetah: speed, ease of use and stability, but
                       rather Community Cheetah is meant to reinvirgorate the community
                       surrounding Cheetah and provide monthly releases incorporating
                       patches and improvements to the engine.

        End of the day, I don't want to replace Tavis or take the project in a
        different direction, I want to help Tavis' "pet project" (as you put it)
        grow up and continue to live on regardless of whether or not Tavis is
        here to care for it.

        Consider me the house keeper until Tavis gets back ;)

        Cheers
        Slide, Inc.

        Bidegg worlds best auction site
        http://bidegg.com