Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] Cheetah Community Edition v2.1.0

  • Michael DeHaan
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 17, 2009
      R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
      > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:56:12PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
      >
      >>> I understand your concern, my plans are in the vein of improvement and
      >>> not fragmentation.
      >>>

      >> Ditto what Mike said. I've added him to this email to save time.
      >>

      > I actually forwarded it along as well, so I'm certain Tavis has gotten
      > it (but maybe not read it).
      >

      >> Tavis's last post to the list was 11/08, in general, going missing for
      >> that time without a post to the list is not a good thing, and I would
      >> like to see Cheetah moving forward. Hope everything is ok.
      >>
      >> (Not sure if the Python 2.6 deprecation warnings got corrected yet --
      >> but that's one example of us needing something -- so we can't simply
      >> just stop taking updates).
      >>
      >> If a fork means bugfixes, great, but let's also make sure things remain
      >> backwards compatibile and we have a good answer to list and domain
      >> ownership -- where the community needs to migrate if needed -- once we
      >> figure out the situation.
      >>

      > I agree wholeheartedly, at Slide and I know a number of other companies
      > Cheetah is an intergral part of our code base (we're a web company!) so
      > it's important to us as well as I'm sure it is important to you all to
      > see bug fixes and optimizations make their way back into the tree at
      > regular intervals.
      >
      > I don't intend on anything ever *not* being backwards comptible, but the
      > approach I have been taking is treating Cheetah CE as what Cheetah
      > development would look like in the main tree if we had access to the
      > main tree (that and the Git thing..).
      >
      > It might be worth thinking about how long we should wait before pinging
      > SourceForge support about the mailing list and domain thing, I wish you
      > could assign ownership to like a Cheetah Foundation or something :-P

      I know this isn't about Fedora (it's about upstream) but we have a
      policy about this that seems to work

      https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MikeKnox/AWOL_Maintainers

      Given that, if we don't see an answer, I think we should move forward.

      You've shown initiative in merging patches and such, so I don't see why
      we can't say your
      github is authoritative. Lots of us are dependent on Cheetah, as you
      said, so if the interest
      is in fixing bugs and keeping it stable, great. Most importantly,
      you've provided a lot of patches.

      The web site is most likely not hosted on sourceforge (right?) so we'd
      probably want to set up another or just mention
      it on the github Wiki.

      Setting up a few extra committers might be nice just to head off a
      future problem, though hopefully it
      wouldn't come to that.

      Yes/no?

      --Michael

      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 28, 2009
        From What mike orr told me over the last 2years is he is not going to maintain cheetah anymore
        and actively asked me to switch to mako

        Considering that i say it is very healthy to have Tyler maintain Cheetah

        Gmail top-posts

        On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM, R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...> wrote:
        On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:19:08AM +0300, Juha Tuomala wrote:
        > On Monday 27 April 2009 22:05:57 R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
        > > Apologies for top-posting on this ancient thread.
        >
        > Please don't, either.

        Heh, yes sir!

        Hey, at least I didn't send an HTML email ;)

        > > It has come to my attention that my Abandoned Project Take-over request
        > > with SourceForge.net has been approved and as of now I have
        > > administrator access to the "cheetahtemplate" project on SourceForge.
        >
        > I has crossed my mind that has anyone tried to call him?

        To humour you, I just went ahead and tried (since it's effectively the
        same calling from the US to Canada)

        > > Administrative, Technical Contact:
        > > Rudd, Tavis tavis@...
        > > DamnSimple Solutions
        > > #1106 189 Davie Street
        > > Vancouver, BC V6Z 2X9
        > > CA
        > > 604-787-2204

        Disconnected

        > > 604-921-7853

        Jan and David live there now, they sound nice.

        My personal feelings on the ethos of open source is along the lines of
        Michael's such that projects exist in more of a community realm. That is
        not to say I don't understand your concerns for Tavis and *his* project.
        Tavis has created something wonderful that's been quite useful to me,
        and I believe many of you. I feel it would be disingenuous of us to let
        his project languish in his absence.

        I certainly don't want to split off from the original goals Tavis
        outlined for Cheetah. From communitycheetah.org:

               Why Community Cheetah:
                       The primary motivations for the Community Cheetah fork is to
                       maintain active development outside of the currently-stale
                       Cheetah CVS tree. Community Cheetah isn't meant to diverge from
                       the main goals of Cheetah: speed, ease of use and stability, but
                       rather Community Cheetah is meant to reinvirgorate the community
                       surrounding Cheetah and provide monthly releases incorporating
                       patches and improvements to the engine.

        End of the day, I don't want to replace Tavis or take the project in a
        different direction, I want to help Tavis' "pet project" (as you put it)
        grow up and continue to live on regardless of whether or not Tavis is
        here to care for it.

        Consider me the house keeper until Tavis gets back ;)

        Cheers
        Slide, Inc.

        Bidegg worlds best auction site
        http://bidegg.com