Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Parallel compilation (patch)

  • mobiledreamers@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2009
      is this patch applied

      On 1/15/09, Evan Klitzke <evan@...> wrote:
      I wrote a small patch to Cheetah that allows you to use a process pool
      to compile templates in parallel. Example usage:

      cheetah compile -R templates --parallel 4

      This will compile all of the Cheetah templates in the `templates'
      directory four ways. A separate process is forked for each
      compilation.

      The use case behind this is that I work at a company that uses Cheetah
      heavily (more than 600 templates checked into our source repository).
      When issuing make from a clean checkout it takes a long time to
      compile all of the templates. This makes that go a lot faster. It's
      also a lot faster than telling make that each template is a separate
      rule, and having make -j4 invoke a new instance of cheetah compile for
      each template.

      Is there any interest in incorporating this patch in a future upstream
      Cheetah release?

      --
      Evan Klitzke <evan@...> :wq

      Bidegg worlds best auction site
      http://bidegg.com
    • R. Tyler Ballance
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009
        On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 03:14:03AM -0700, mobiledreamers@... wrote:
        > is this patch applied

        I have applied this patch, including the another couple that I have had
        lying around into the "next" branch of my Git repository for Cheetah
        (http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/tree/next)

        It appears that this project is either in severe hibernation or just
        about dead, as a response, I'm preparing a Community Cheetah release
        2.1.0 which contains a number of fixes and will hopefully breath some
        new life into the project.

        If anybody is interested let me know, I'll be preparing some release
        tarballs and such later this weekend.

        Cheers

        > On 1/15/09, Evan Klitzke <evan@...> wrote:
        >
        > I wrote a small patch to Cheetah that allows you to use a process pool
        > to compile templates in parallel. Example usage:
        >
        > cheetah compile -R templates --parallel 4
        >
        > This will compile all of the Cheetah templates in the `templates'
        > directory four ways. A separate process is forked for each
        > compilation.
        >
        > The use case behind this is that I work at a company that uses Cheetah
        > heavily (more than 600 templates checked into our source repository).
        > When issuing make from a clean checkout it takes a long time to
        > compile all of the templates. This makes that go a lot faster. It's
        > also a lot faster than telling make that each template is a separate
        > rule, and having make -j4 invoke a new instance of cheetah compile for
        > each template.
        >
        > Is there any interest in incorporating this patch in a future upstream
        > Cheetah release?

        Slide, Inc.
      • mobiledreamers@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009
          Please do that would be awesome
          Cheetah is like da best templating language
          thanks

          On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:33 AM, R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@...> wrote:
          On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 03:14:03AM -0700, mobiledreamers@... wrote:
          >    is this patch applied

          I have applied this patch, including the another couple that I have had
          lying around into the "next" branch of my Git repository for Cheetah
          (http://github.com/rtyler/cheetah/tree/next)

          It appears that this project is either in severe hibernation or just
          about dead, as a response, I'm preparing a Community Cheetah release
          2.1.0 which contains a number of fixes and will hopefully breath some
          new life into the project.

          If anybody is interested let me know, I'll be preparing some release
          tarballs and such later this weekend.

          Cheers

          >    On 1/15/09, Evan Klitzke <evan@...> wrote:
          >
          >      I wrote a small patch to Cheetah that allows you to use a process pool
          >      to compile templates in parallel. Example usage:
          >
          >      cheetah compile -R templates --parallel 4
          >
          >      This will compile all of the Cheetah templates in the `templates'
          >      directory four ways. A separate process is forked for each
          >      compilation.
          >
          >      The use case behind this is that I work at a company that uses Cheetah
          >      heavily (more than 600 templates checked into our source repository).
          >      When issuing make from a clean checkout it takes a long time to
          >      compile all of the templates. This makes that go a lot faster. It's
          >      also a lot faster than telling make that each template is a separate
          >      rule, and having make -j4 invoke a new instance of cheetah compile for
          >      each template.
          >
          >      Is there any interest in incorporating this patch in a future upstream
          >      Cheetah release?

          Slide, Inc.