[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] great quote about Python template engines (from Stefan Behnel)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2007
      http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/82f632f0b3142f6e

      Stefan Behnel wrote:
      "Arnaud Delobelle wrote:
      > On Oct 25, 10:05 am, Stefan Behnel <stefan.behnel-n05...@...>
      > wrote:
      >> Evan Klitzke wrote:
      >>> but you could also write your own templating engine for this.
      >> No, please.

      > I'm afraid it is the inalienable right of every python programmer to
      > write their own templating engine.

      Oh, definitely. But there is no reason to encourage someone to do so.

      > After all, it takes less time to write your own than to understand
      > some of them!

      Template engines are amongst the things that seem easy enough to look at the
      available software and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day", but are complex
      enough to keep them growing over years until they become as huge and
      inaccessible as all the other implementations. Then it's time for someone else
      to look at it and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day".
      "