Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Fwd: $self?

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
      On 10/26/06, Mike Meyer <mwm@...> wrote:
      > In <6e9196d20610261359r115a0da8x5e210e957a92a907@...>, Mike Orr <sluggoster@...> typed:
      > > On 10/25/06, Tavis Rudd <tavis@...> wrote:
      > > > Case 2: I needed class variables. Not just attributes, but real live
      > > > variables; basically I needed a value that changed for each instance
      > > > of the class. I forget exactly what I tried, but I wound up doing:
      > > >
      > > > #set $self.instance_counter[0] += 1
      > > >
      > > > to get things to change properly.
      > >
      > > Not "class variables"; this is a template instance attribute.
      >
      > I think I may have left out an important part:
      >
      > #attr $instance_counter = [0]
      >
      > I.e. - instance_counter is an attribute of the class the template
      > compiles to, not of an instance of that class. Or maybe that's what
      > "template instance attribute" means.
      >
      > > The value will leak from one template fill to the next, so you'll have
      > > to intialize it to 0 at the beginning of every fill. Also, modifying
      > > template attributes is thread unsafe.
      >
      > And here's why I said I wanted "class variables" - I *want* the value
      > to change between fills.

      If you really want a template class attribute, it's:

      #set $self.__class__.instance_counter = 0
      #set $self.__class__.instance_counter += 1

      I almost put that in my example but thought, "That can't be what he
      wants. Nobody in their right mind would share a variable across
      template instances." But it looks like you found a use for it.

      A template instance is what Template(...) returns. A template class
      is what Template.compile(...) returns -- it has to be instantiated
      before being filled. A template class is also what a compiled
      template module contains.

      'set global' variables won't be shared across fills. But class
      attributes won't be shared with #include files. If it has to be
      global across everything, put it in a Python module and #import the
      module.

      --
      Mike Orr <sluggoster@...>