[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] cheetah compile options

  • Brian Bird
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2006

      Is there any chance of adding an extra option to the cheetah compile script - to not include the generated timestamps (the __CHEETAH_genTime__ and __CHEETAH_genTimestamp__ fields).

      The reason is that I have a script which recompiles all my cheetah templates and restarts my services to make it easier for me whenever I make a change. For various reasons I’ve decided to store the cheetah compiled .py files in subversion, but whenever I run my script subversion thinks every cheetah file has changed (because of the timestamps) when in reality only one or two are different.

      Thanks,

      Brian

    • jose@cybergalvez.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2006
        Are you sure its just the timestamp in the compiled code that's tripping the svn? I've never done it my self, but since you've actually touched the files and changed the mtime for the compiled files, even though they are actually unchanged, they have been recompiled and wouldn't that by itself make svn think they are different? I guess what I'm asking is have you verified the assumption by using your script to recompile all your cheetah templates and then manually going back and changing the __CHEETAH_genTimestamp__ to what it was prior to your recompilation? I'd be interested in seeing if svn still doesn't think the file has changed.

        Jose

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2006
          Hi Brian,
          I've just added it to the cvs version. It might take a while for the
          anonymous cvs repos to sync up.

          The new setting is called 'addTimestampsToCompilerOutput' and it defaults to
          True.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2006
            fortunately, svn doesn't rely on filesystem mtime timestamps.

            On Wednesday 11 October 2006 1:33 pm, jose@... wrote:
            > Are you sure its just the timestamp in the compiled code that's tripping
            > the svn? I've never done it my self, but since you've actually touched the
            > files and changed the mtime for the compiled files, even though they are
            > actually unchanged, they have been recompiled and wouldn't that by itself
            > make svn think they are different? I guess what I'm asking is have you
            > verified the assumption by using your script to recompile all your cheetah
            > templates and then manually going back and changing the
            > __CHEETAH_genTimestamp__ to what it was prior to your recompilation? I'd
            > be interested in seeing if svn still doesn't think the file has changed.
            >
            > Jose

          • Brian Bird
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
              I haven't specifically tested it with a Cheetah file, but I know with
              normal files if a change is made and then manually reverted back to how
              it is in the repository (without using CVS/SVN) and then you run an
              update followed by a commit - the repository will notice the file hasn't
              actually changed and won't commit it. Very convenient :)

              Thanks for the update Tavis, I'll try it out as soon as I can.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
                On 10/12/06, Brian Bird <Brian.Bird@...> wrote:
                > I haven't specifically tested it with a Cheetah file, but I know with
                > normal files if a change is made and then manually reverted back to how
                > it is in the repository (without using CVS/SVN) and then you run an
                > update followed by a commit - the repository will notice the file hasn't
                > actually changed and won't commit it. Very convenient :)

                Yeah, I do this all the time. Subversion works by file content, not
                (just) the modify date. I think CVS does the same.

                --
                Mike Orr <sluggoster@...>