[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Problems Installing on OS X: gcc options fail

  • Brendon Towle
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
      (Apologies if this ends up being a duplicate; I found the Yahoo
      archive before I found the sourceforge list.)

      I'm having trouble installing Cheetah 2.0rc7 under OS X. Here's the
      terminal interaction; can anyone offer any useful suggestions?

      B.

      14:49:32 (java1.4) Cheetah-2.0rc7 > python setup.py install
      running install
      running build
      running build_py
      running build_ext
      building 'Cheetah._namemapper' extension
      gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
      fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -
      fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/
      Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c src/_namemapper.c -
      o build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/src/_namemapper.o
      gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations

      14:49:53 (java1.4) Cheetah-2.0rc7 > gcc -v
      Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
      Thread model: posix
      gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)

      14:50:05 (java1.4) Cheetah-2.0rc7 > python -V
      Python 2.4.3

      14:50:07 (java1.4) Cheetah-2.0rc7 >

      --
      Brendon Towle, PhD
      Cognitive Scientist

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
        On 9/7/06, Brendon Towle <btowle@...> wrote:
        > I'm having trouble installing Cheetah 2.0rc7 under OS X. Here's the
        > terminal interaction; can anyone offer any useful suggestions?
        >
        > gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
        > fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -
        > fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/
        > Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c src/_namemapper.c -
        > o build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/src/_namemapper.o
        > gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations

        I can verify that Cheetah does install on Mac OS X 10.3. This was
        before rc7 and 10.4 so I don't know if anything has changed.

        Cheetah will use the Python namemapper if the C one is not available,
        so if you can get the setup to bypass the compilation (I'm not sure
        how to do this), you can run Cheetah temporarily without it.

        --
        Mike Orr <sluggoster@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
          On 9/7/06, Brendon Towle <btowle@...> wrote:
          > 14:49:32 (java1.4) Cheetah-2.0rc7 > python setup.py install
          > running install
          > running build
          > running build_py
          > running build_ext
          > building 'Cheetah._namemapper' extension
          > gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
          > fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -
          > fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/
          > Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c src/_namemapper.c -
          > o build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/src/_namemapper.o
          > gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations

          We will probably need a Mac developer to investigate the GCC flags and
          tell us which ones to use on that platform, if somebody can do this.
          I've forwarded the problem to a couple people at work.

          Note that it's Mac OS X 10.4u according to the command line.

          --
          Mike Orr <sluggoster@...>

        • Brendon Towle
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
            On 7 Sep 2006, at 4:12 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

            > On 9/7/06, Brendon Towle <btowle@...> wrote:
            >> I'm having trouble installing Cheetah 2.0rc7 under OS X. Here's the
            >> terminal interaction; can anyone offer any useful suggestions?
            >>
            >> gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
            >> fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-
            >> madd -
            >> fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/
            >> Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c src/
            >> _namemapper.c -
            >> o build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/src/_namemapper.o
            >> gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
            >> error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
            >
            > I can verify that Cheetah does install on Mac OS X 10.3. This was
            > before rc7 and 10.4 so I don't know if anything has changed.
            >
            > Cheetah will use the Python namemapper if the C one is not available,
            > so if you can get the setup to bypass the compilation (I'm not sure
            > how to do this), you can run Cheetah temporarily without it.

            Well, not knowing the code at all, it looks like I might be able to just
            tweak the following (at lines 41-46 of SetupConfig.py):

            <code>
            if os.name == 'posix':
            ext_modules=[Extension("Cheetah._namemapper", [os.path.join
            ("src" ,"_namemapper.c")]
            )
            ]
            else:
            ext_modules=[]
            </code>

            <pauses to try>

            Yup, that works; just adding an unconditional "ext_modules=[]" at
            line 48
            worked. Thanks for the pointer.

            I guess the bad news is that I can confirm that rc7 does not work under
            10.4. :(

            B.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
              Hi,
              the namemapper C version hasn't changed since before Cheetah's 1.0 release so
              I suspect this is an issue with python's distutils and OS X 10.4. However,
              it will work fine without the C version compiled, if a little slower. If we
              can work out the required gcc commands under 10.4 you can do the compilation
              manually after the fact.
              Tavis