Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] cheetah with stand-alone apache

  • Terry Macdonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2006
      Thomas Andrews wrote:
      > On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 12:19:40PM -0700, Mike Orr wrote:
      >

      >> On 8/18/06, Thomas Andrews <tandrews@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hi,
      >>>
      >>> I'm new to cheetah. Is it possible to use cheetah without
      >>> webware/turbogears/whatever ? I just want to have apache on it's own and
      >>> be able to write the cheetah equivalent of PSP.
      >>>
      >>> If it can be done, what does apache need (if any) in terms of
      >>> configuration?
      >>>
      >> You can use Cheetah without a framework, but you cannot connect
      >> Cheetah to Apache directly. The simplest way is to write a Python CGI
      >> script, but that's so 1992. Second simplest would be mod_python.
      >> Mod_python comes with PSP, but there's no reason you can't use Cheetah
      >> with it instead. (I've never used mod_python, but I don't think
      >> there's any impediment.) That's fine for using Cheetah in a program,
      >> but if you want to make mod_python automatically serve a template
      >> referred to by URL, I don't know. I assume it's possible.
      >>

      > Thanks Mike. I've used mod_python in a very basic app once before, and
      > I've managed to get a 'hello world' in PSP working. My problem is now to
      > get it to serve cheetah templates. Perhaps it isn't possible, but at
      > least you've brought me a little closer.

      I use cheetah with mod_python all the time. However I precompile my
      templates to python modules (.py) and
      just import them into the modules that need them as and when.
      I don't do any on the fly template compilation: can't see the point
      really, especially when a quick 'make' compiles all changed templates.
      My mod_python apps just deal with python module files.
      Cheetah and mod_python are a powerful combination that allows you to
      write complex web apps in pure python - much better and easier than
      messing around with all that over hyped, over complicated, over
      engineered java stuff, servlets, beans, beanlets etc
      ..And stick a postgres database behind it and you can do anything!

      LAMP should be LAPP (unfortunately no cheetah in the acronym - Linux
      Apache Python (mod and cheetah) Postgesql

    • anil maran
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
        hi guys
        i want to see if updated is present and sort based on updated key or if created is present sort based on it or else jus do a for loop but it isnt working pls help me out
        thanks

        #if $getVar('r.updated', None)
                #for i in $sorted(list($feedentry_dct[$blog.id]), key=lambda r: r.updated, reverse=True)
        #else if $getVar('r.created', None)
        #for i in $sorted(list($feedentry_dct[$blog.id]), key=lambda r: r.created, reverse=True)
        #else
          #for i in $feedentry_dct[$blog.id]
        #end if

        #end for