[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] version 2.0b1 released

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2005
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2005
        Are you sure you want to jump so high in version? Template.compile()
        is a major change, but we don't want Cheetah 15.0 coming out next
        December. People will also wonder why 1.0 had such a short life, and
        whether it's a sign of future instability.

        --
        Mike Orr <sluggoster@...>
        (mso@... address is semi-reliable)

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2005
          I believe the changes are major enough to justify the leap, particularly as
          the recommended usage style within Python has changed for the first time
          since 2001 (Template(src) vs. Template.compile(src)).

          On Friday 30 December 2005 1:02 pm, Mike Orr wrote:
          > Are you sure you want to jump so high in version? Template.compile()
          > is a major change, but we don't want Cheetah 15.0 coming out next
          > December. People will also wonder why 1.0 had such a short life, and
          > whether it's a sign of future instability.
          >
          > --
          > Mike Orr <sluggoster@...>
          > (mso@... address is semi-reliable)

        • Ian Bicking
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2005
            Tavis Rudd wrote:
            > I believe the changes are major enough to justify the leap, particularly as
            > the recommended usage style within Python has changed for the first time
            > since 2001 (Template(src) vs. Template.compile(src)).

            As long as there's major(ish) API changes, can we separate the creation
            of templates and the instantiation of those templates? Right now
            because searchList is passed in to the constructor it seems like you
            commit to the variables/namespaces fairly early on. Though I'm not 100%
            clear on what the changes mean, so maybe this is a side effect of the
            change anyway.

            --
            Ian Bicking / ianb@... / http://blog.ianbicking.org

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 30, 2005
              Hey Ian,
              this was one of the motivations for the new Template.compile() usage style.
              This is a classmethod that returns a compiled template class, instead of an
              instance with a bound searchList. You then create instances from that class,
              each with their own searchList (if you even use searchLists).