[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] CheetahWebware

  • michelts
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
      Hi guys,

      Does anyone knows where can I find the most recent CheetahWebware
      version? Is there some work over caching (if doesn't I will do it).

      Thanks
      --
      Michel Thadeu Sabchuk
      Curitiba - Brasil

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
        if you are referring to a cheetah kit, similar to psp kit or the new kid
        kit webware integration for cheetah, to my knowledge there is no current
        as the last one published by cheetah was a long time ago and I think
        they pulled it for reasons I don't remember (cheetah experts please
        correct me on this if I'm wrong)

        There are however lots of recipes for how to integrate cheetah templates
        into webware servlets if that is what you want to do, I have one myself
        that I use for all my websites. Do a search on the webware discussion
        archive you'll be able to find stuff there, and if you can't get what
        you want I'd be happy to share how I do it. (I'd just send it to you
        now, except I am in the middle of fixing a bug that was just recently
        pointed out to me in it)

        Jose

      • michelts
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
          Hi Jose,

          > if you are referring to a cheetah kit, similar to psp kit or the new kid
          > kit webware integration for cheetah, to my knowledge there is no current
          > as the last one published by cheetah was a long time ago and I think
          > they pulled it for reasons I don't remember (cheetah experts please
          > correct me on this if I'm wrong)

          CheetahKit is the name :), I found it on the wiki but as you said, it
          is from long time ago.

          > There are however lots of recipes for how to integrate cheetah templates
          > into webware servlets if that is what you want to do, I have one myself
          > that I use for all my websites. Do a search on the webware discussion
          > archive you'll be able to find stuff there, and if you can't get what
          > you want I'd be happy to share how I do it. (I'd just send it to you
          > now, except I am in the middle of fixing a bug that was just recently
          > pointed out to me in it)

          I use cheetah extensively, I try to change my way to zpt or kid but
          cheetah is the one, no one can beat cheetah + webware + vim :)

          I have already my way to integrate cheetah + webware, but I want to
          give a chance to CheetahKit, I will work on it, I think I must have
          some features:

          * put the template directory on the path to be able to import from
          another python servlet
          * do the compilation and store it hidden from the template, check the
          time of the template and of the module.
          * import from a template? I don't know if this is possible, does
          anyone knows a way?

          Do you think CheetahKit usefull?
          For now, I have a organization like this (using inheritance approach):

          * ServletNameVw.tmpl (only design)
          * ServletName.py (it extends the ServletNameVw and do the logic)

          Ah, I have a makefile that compiles Cheetah's templates if they are
          newer than the python module:

          compile:
          @for i in `ls *.tmpl`; do \
          if [ $$i -nt `echo $$i | sed 's/\(.*\)\.tmpl/\1.py/'` ]; then \
          cheetah-compile --nobackup $$i; \
          fi; \
          done

          Well, I just wanted to check if there isn't someone working on CheetahKit :)
          regards,

          --
          Michel Thadeu Sabchuk
          Curitiba - Brasil

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005

            Yep I don't think CheetahKit is being activly developed any longer, and
            to tell the truth i've never seen it in action so I really don't even
            know how it intigrates

            > > There are however lots of recipes for how to integrate cheetah templates
            > > into webware servlets if that is what you want to do, I have one myself
            > > that I use for all my websites. Do a search on the webware discussion
            > > archive you'll be able to find stuff there, and if you can't get what
            > > you want I'd be happy to share how I do it. (I'd just send it to you
            > > now, except I am in the middle of fixing a bug that was just recently
            > > pointed out to me in it)
            >
            > I use cheetah extensively, I try to change my way to zpt or kid but
            > cheetah is the one, no one can beat cheetah + webware + vim :)
            >
            > I have already my way to integrate cheetah + webware, but I want to
            > give a chance to CheetahKit, I will work on it, I think I must have
            > some features:
            >
            > * put the template directory on the path to be able to import from
            > another python servlet

            I usually keep all my templates in a separate directory within imy
            servlet directory and import them form there: so if I have a folder
            with my servlets I usually add a chTemplates forlder to contain all my
            templates for that application, and then import the templates as needed

            > * do the compilation and store it hidden from the template, check the
            > time of the template and of the module.

            I'm not sure what you mean by store the compiled template hidden from
            the template, but what I do is store the template mtime at the time of
            compilation, and before I use it, if the mtime has changed, ie I edited
            the template, the program recompiles the templete and reloads the
            compiled version before its used by the servlet

            > * import from a template? I don't know if this is possible, does
            > anyone knows a way?

            ? import from a template? you can import the compiled template just like
            any other python file, so you can use any of the usual python ways of
            importing modules, or bits of modules. I guess I'm not sure if I
            understand what you mean here

            > Do you think CheetahKit usefull?
            > For now, I have a organization like this (using inheritance approach):
            >
            > * ServletNameVw.tmpl (only design)
            > * ServletName.py (it extends the ServletNameVw and do the logic)
            >
            > Ah, I have a makefile that compiles Cheetah's templates if they are
            > newer than the python module:

            > compile:
            > @for i in `ls *.tmpl`; do \
            > if [ $$i -nt `echo $$i | sed 's/\(.*\)\.tmpl/\1.py/'` ]; then \
            > cheetah-compile --nobackup $$i; \
            > fi; \
            > done
            >
            > Well, I just wanted to check if there isn't someone working on CheetahKit :)
            > regards,
            >
            > --
            > Michel Thadeu Sabchuk
            > Curitiba - Brasil

            what i do is use a wrapper class, so if I pass the name of a template to
            my wrapper class cheetahTemplate(template) it will create an instance of
            the compiled template, recompiles the template if needed and returns an
            object that I can pass my searchList to. Passing the searchList (in
            .render(searchList) returns the template text so that i can display it,
            usually within a self.write statement.

            Anyway thats what I do, and its really simplified my use of Cheetah.
            Like you I've looked at ZPT and KIT, but I like cheetah the best.

            Jose