RE: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] psyco and 0.9.18

  • jose@cybergalvez.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
      Was this a typo did you mean to type:
      #for $i in $range(10)
      ... $i
      #end for

      rather than
      #for $i in range(10)
      ... $i
      #end for

      Jose

    • Bob Van Zant
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
        Technically you don't need the $ prefix on the 'i' or the range in the #for
        line.

        #for i in range(5)
        $i
        #end for

        Works fine.

        -Bob

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
          Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
          > On 9/25/05, William Dode <wilk-ml@...> wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> The last version doesn't work with psyco
          >>
          >> Python 2.3.5 (#2, May 4 2005, 08:51:39)
          >> [GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)] on linux2
          >> ... #for $i in range(10)
          >> ... $i
          >> ... #end for
          >> ... """)
          >> Traceback (most recent call last):
          >> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
          >> File "<string>", line 28, in respond
          >> NameMapper.NotFound: cannot find 'i'
          >> >>>

          >> please ask if you want more details
          >>
          >> --
          >> William Dodé - http://flibuste.net

          Something is blocking the Cheetah compiler from recognizing 'i' as a local
          variable. The NameMapper should not have been called. My guess is psyco
          is miscompiling Cheetah. What if you import Template before activating
          psyco?

          The Cheetah compiler keeps track of local variables it has seen (via #set,
          #for, or passed by Cheetah as method arguments), global variables (via
          #import or otherwise imported), and builtins. $i and $range are compiled
          to bare variable names, so the usual Python lookup will be used. If the
          variable is not recognized, a NameMapper call is generated. That's
          apparently what happened here. '#set global' variables are handled a
          third way, but a NameMapper call is involved.

          In the #for directive, '$i' is translated to 'i' because it's on the left
          side. '$range' is translated to 'range' because it's a builtin. If you
          type 'i' and 'range' instead, Cheetah leaves it alone, assuming Python
          will know what to do with it. Since Python happens to use bare variable
          names, this works.

          --
          -- Mike Orr <mso@...>