Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] #include default directory

  • Simon Willison
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
      Mike Orr wrote:
      > Cheetah's developers think #include should be used
      > sparingly, so we aren't planning any enhancements to it. Usually one
      > can substitute a method or function for #include, which better control
      > the arguments and return values.

      That's useful to know. I'm still in the experimental stages with
      Chweetah so I've been working on two similar systems, one that uses
      template inheritance and one that uses #include 0- purely to get an idea
      of what the two techniques are capable of. If #include is discouraged
      I'll stick with #extends (which I was finding more intuitive anyway).

      Has anyone ever written a Cheetah best practises document? My biggest
      problem with Cheetah so far has been that the documentation is limited
      to the user and development manuals. I'm having to learn a lot through
      experimentation.

      Thanks,

      Simon

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
        On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:10:14AM +0100, Simon Willison wrote:
        > Has anyone ever written a Cheetah best practises document?

        The Users' Guide attempts to be it.

        > My biggest
        > problem with Cheetah so far has been that the documentation is limited
        > to the user and development manuals. I'm having to learn a lot through
        > experimentation.

        We're quite interested in knowing what specifically you wished the
        Users' Guide contained. What questions do you wish it answered.

        We're planning a Cheetah FAQ which will be more of a troubleshooting
        document, to restate important stuff and for esoteric/specialized info
        that not everybody needs. Hopefully it will be more "look up your
        problem" rather than having to guess which chapter your problem might be
        mentioned in. I have lots of saved messages from the list as material,
        but I haven't made any headway writing it.

        --
        -Mike (Iron) Orr, mso@... (iron@...)

      • Simon Willison
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
          Mike Orr wrote:

          > We're quite interested in knowing what specifically you wished the
          > Users' Guide contained. What questions do you wish it answered.

          I think my main problem has been figuring out how to go about building a
          big web application using Cheetah. The documentation is good, but extra
          examples or maybe a tutorial that goes through the process of building a
          full application would have really helped. It also took me a while to
          get my head around inheritance using #extends, mainly because I'm not
          used to thinking of templates in terms of classes (I have previous
          experience of PHP's Smarty).

          Cheers,

          Simon

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
            On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:42:20PM +0100, Simon Willison wrote:
            > Mike Orr wrote:
            > >We're quite interested in knowing what specifically you wished the
            > >Users' Guide contained. What questions do you wish it answered.
            >
            > I think my main problem has been figuring out how to go about building a
            > big web application using Cheetah. The documentation is good, but extra
            > examples or maybe a tutorial that goes through the process of building a
            > full application would have really helped. It also took me a while to
            > get my head around inheritance using #extends, mainly because I'm not
            > used to thinking of templates in terms of classes (I have previous
            > experience of PHP's Smarty).

            That would work as a separate HOWTO. I guess the information is a bit
            scattered about for that in the Users' Guide.

            So, anybody have a dynamic web application they can describe the structure
            of?

            --
            -Mike (Iron) Orr, mso@... (iron@...)