[Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Dreamweaver

  • Dave Brueck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2003
      Dreamweaver

      Hello all,

      We've been using Cheetah for awhile for a development project and it's really working well. As the use of it is starting to grow, though, we're turning over more of our Cheetah work to our HTML guys.

      In development we use text editors, but the HTML guys use DreamWeaver, so I'm looking to see if anyone has gotten Cheetah templates to work inside DreamWeaver. By "work" I mean have Cheetah syntax properly recognized - DreamWeaver appears to be extendable (through a ton of different config files) but so far it just displays the Cheetah code even in "rendered" view. Just to get going I'd be happy if I could figure out how to just hide the code altogether in the render view.

      Anyway, if anyone has any pointers or past horry stories from having gone down this path, I'd appreciate any info you can give me.

      Thanks,
      Dave

    • Dave Brueck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2003
        RE: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Dreamweaver

        Aha! Thanks for your help, Aaron.

        You just have to get creative with Cheetah Directive Closures -
        http://cheetahtemplate.org/docs/users_guide_html_multipage/language.directives.closures.html

        This works in dreamweaver

        <!-- #for $row in $records # -->
        <!-- #end for # -->
        -Aaron

        Dave Brueck wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > We've been using Cheetah for awhile for a development project and it's
        > really working well. As the use of it is starting to grow, though,
        > we're turning over more of our Cheetah work to our HTML guys.
        >
        > In development we use text editors, but the HTML guys use DreamWeaver,
        > so I'm looking to see if anyone has gotten Cheetah templates to work
        > inside DreamWeaver. By "work" I mean have Cheetah syntax properly
        > recognized - DreamWeaver appears to be extendable (through a ton of
        > different config files) but so far it just displays the Cheetah code
        > even in "rendered" view. Just to get going I'd be happy if I could
        > figure out how to just hide the code altogether in the render view.
        >
        > Anyway, if anyone has any pointers or past horry stories from having
        > gone down this path, I'd appreciate any info you can give me.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave

      • Aaron Held
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
          Don't thank me too fast, I was wrong.

          I can't find my Dreamwaver templates but I did have to do somthing a little more complex.

          The output from the example I gave will generate
          <!-- -->
          -->
          -->

          So you need to do this:
          <!-- #for $article in $articles # <!-- Begin Article -->
          Which prints
          <!-- <!-- Begin Article -->
          <!-- Begin Article -->

          But the first line looks strange so you need something like:
          #set $com = ''
          <!-- #for $article in $articles # #echo $com # Begin Article -->
          #set $com = '<!--'

          but I think I had some function like:
          <!-- #for $article in $articles # #$batchComment('Begin Article') # -->

          It tracked the comment to decide if it was the first time being called

          something like
          #set $comList = []
          def $batchComment(com):
              if $com in $comList
                    return '<!-- %s -->' % $com
              else:
                    return '%s -->' % $com

          I think it was in the servlet base class as a util function.

          I am starting to use dreamweaver again here as well so let me know what you come up with.

          -Aaron

          --
          -Aaron
          http://www.MetroNY.com/