4166Re: [Cheetahtemplate-discuss] Security (when you're letting just anybody make templates)

    Nov 4, 2007
      Hi Devin,

      I agree with Dirk that Cheetah is far too powerful to expose to untrusted
      strangers. However, there is a way to create a locked down version of Cheetah's
      syntax and selectively enable only the bits you need and trust. I added this in
      Cheetah version 2.0b1. You'll have to disable most directives and the
      restricted version of Cheetah you create may not be suitable for your users, but
      it will work. You can easily combine it with another markup syntax. I've
      personally used it in conjunction with Textile.

      Here are the release notes:

      "
      - added hooks for filtering / restricting dangerous stuff in cheetah source
      code at compile time. These hooks can be used to enable Cheetah template
      authoring by untrusted users. See my messages to the email list for more
      details. Note, it filters expressions at parse/compile time, unlike Python's old
      rexec module which restricted the Python environment at runtime.

      # Here are the relevant compiler settings:
      # use lower case keys here!!

      # lists of directive names, without the start token
      'disabledDirectives':[], # enable all else by default,
      'enabledDirectives':[], # or disable everything but these

      'disabledDirectiveHooks':[], # callable(parser, directiveKey),
      # called when a disabled directive is found, prior to raising an exception

      'preparseDirectiveHooks':[], # callable(parser, directiveKey)
      'postparseDirectiveHooks':[], # callable(parser, directiveKey)

      'preparsePlaceholderHooks':[], # callable(parser)
      'postparsePlaceholderHooks':[], # callable(parser)

      'expressionFilterHooks':[],
      # callable(parser, expr, exprType, rawExpr=None, startPos=None)
      # exprType is the name of the directive, 'psp', or 'placeholder'.
      #all lowercase
      "

      The key settings are enabledDirectives and expressionFilterHooks. You can
      ignore the rest.

      You'll also need to see the docstrings and code in Parser.py for
      "_applyExpressionFilters(...)" and "_filterDisabledDirectives(...)"

      See my comment on Guido's blog for a few simple examples of how to use this stuff:
      http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&thread=146606&start=45&msRange=15
      (scroll down till you find my comment at 12:33 AM, Feb 1st)

      Tavis