409Re: [cheekdna] Genealogical matters

  • chuckinduck@aol.com
    Apr 9, 2012
      Thanks, Rebecca for weighing in on this.  I too believe original documentation is essential.  It is so very easy for any one of us to "fall off this slippery path of research."

      For whatever it is worth, here are two photos of the original William and Mary Randolph Family Cemetery.  Does anyone have evidence of a Jane Randolph related to this family who married into our family?
      The above six photos are of the Cocke Family Cemetery.

      Charles E. Cheek
      Richmond, VA

      In a message dated 4/9/2012 12:33:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cheekgenealogy@... writes:

      Hi all,

      The group has been very quiet lately! It is nice to have the opportunity to say hello and see how everyone is doing. We had a new participant awhile back whose information I need to post. Will do so soon!

      Anyway, just to weigh in on some of the "Cheek controversies" :-)

      I have never found any documentation that sheds light on the origins of John Cheek, Sr. of Old Rappahannock County, VA. http://www.moonzstuff.com/cheek/john1650.html

      Many of the Cheek family trees that are floating around the internet claim that John was the son of a man named Anthony Cheeke. Anthony is found in some records of Old Rapp. County from 1657/58 to 1664. Unfortunately, I've never found any documentation that links John and Anthony. A few years ago I spent a week at the Library of Virginia in Richmond trying to find something -- anything! But I came up with zip. The first record of John Cheek Sr. in Old Rapp. occurs in 1679, 15 years after the last record of Anthony Cheeke. No wills, deeds, or any other records to show that John and Anthony were even in Old Rapp. at the same time. The name "Anthony" never shows up in the families of John Cheek's descendants even though they seem to have been very conservative about their naming patters. (You find John, James, William, Robert, and Richard over and over again.) Therefore, I always leave Anthony Cheeke off my family trees. Could Anthony be John's father? It's possible, but I just don't know.

      I also haven't been able to trace the family of John Cheek, Sr., back to England, although the DNA evidence suggests the family is related to a Cheek family in Somerset. If anyone has found something I'd love to see it!!! The Cheek and Chick surnames are mainly found in southwestern England (Wessex) including historic region of Wessex,Devon, Dorset, Somerset, and Hampshire, and the Isle of Wight.

      Cheers,
      Rebecca

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic