Suicide Bombers

  • kclaughton@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2000
      Dave,

      Two points;

      First, I refer to your absolute detest of Ugodov's satement that
      there're Chenchens mujahidin "...ready to die for "Islam"" We have a
      semantic problem here. "Islam" in arabic also means "peace". In many
      muslim communities it is absolutely normal to say that one 'll die
      for
      "Islam" (which also carries the following connotation
      "Islam=peace=honor=country=religion") instead of the expected
      "normal"
      western/english idiosynceratic ways of saying "..for one's
      fatherland"
      On the second note, I think your other cluster of comments were being
      too emotionally judgemental. I don't think you'll ever come to the
      conclusion i.e. to damn the brave Chechens fighting not only for
      their
      land but also for their dignity and honor (which're intangible and
      transcendental values) if you've been fully informed about their
      affairs and fair about their responses.

      Regards,

      Dinov