Russian armor vs RPG-29

  • Alik S
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30 7:04 PM
      At some point someone questioned how Chechens were able to disable
      Russian tanks. Assuming this data is real, RPG-29 is anomalously
      effective against even the T-90 .

      20.10.1999 T-80U and T-90 Protection Trials
      On October 20, 1999 extensive trials of T-80U and T-90 protection
      from various types of threats were conducted at TsNIIO 643a Testing
      Grounds. The tests involved firing large amounts of ordnance
      (including several versions of RPG ATGL, light and heavy ATGMs, and
      APFSDS rounds) at frontal projections of T-80U and T-90 MBTs both
      protected with Kontakt-V ERA and stripped of it.

      T-80U and T-90 MBTs were represented by 3 vehicles each, one with
      Kontakt-V ERA, one with removed explosive packages and one reserve
      vehicle. For the ERA part of trials, knocked-out ERA packages were
      replaced after each shot.

      One more T-80U MBT was used for special trials that focused on
      testing of Shtora-1 EOCMDAS.

      The following weapons were used:

      Infantry ATGLs (fired at a distance of 40m)
      RPG-7 (using advanced 105mm grenade PG-7VR with a tandem warhead,
      pen. 650mm RHA)
      RPG-26 (disposable launcher, pen. >500mm RHA)
      RPG-29 (advanced 105mm launcher, pen. 750mm RHA)
      ATGMs (fired at a distance of 600m)
      Malyutka-2 (pen. >600mm RHA)
      Metis (pen. 460mm RHA)
      Konkurs (pen. 650mm RHA)
      Kornet (pen. >850mm RHA)
      APFSDS (fired from T-80U MBT at a distance of 1,500m, the most likely
      round is 3BM42)
      Each weapon was fired 5 times at each target, for a total of 20 shots
      per weapon. The total number of shots fired during the trials thus
      exceeded 150.
      The trials yielded the following outcome:

      ATGLs
      T-90: RPG-29 produced a total of 3 penetrations.
      No other RPG rounds could penetrate even the stripped target.
      T-80U: RPG-29 penetrated 3 times with ERA, all 5 times without ERA.
      Of all other grenades, one PG-7VR penetrated the stripped target.
      ATGMs
      T-90: No ATGMs could penetrate the ERA-equipped target. One Kornet
      ATGM penetrated the stripped target.
      T-80U: 2 Kornet ATGMs penetrated the ERA-equipped target, all 5
      penetrated the stripped target.
      No other ATGMs could penetrate.
      APFSDS
      T-90: ERA-equipped target could not be penetrated. Furthermore, after
      firing the crew entered the vehicle, activated it and was able to
      execute the firing sequence.
      Without ERA, one round penetrated.
      T-80U (data available only for stripped target): One round almost
      penetrated (3mm hole in the inner lining, no visible equipment
      damage); two penetrated to 1/2 thickness; one missed the target
      completely; one hit the gun.
      The following pictures show the locations of impacts by ATGL RPG-29
      (in red) and ATGM Kornet (in black) against ERA-equipped vehicles.
      Which of these hits penetrated was not disclosed.

      Shtora-1 Trials
      10 Kornet ATGMs with removed warheads were fired at a tank with a
      crew. 4 ATGMs hit the tank, the other 6 deviated to the left of the
      target in the middle of the flight.

      Conclusions (VF)
      RPG-29 proved to be by far the most potent weapon among those used.
      As powerful as heavy ATGM Kornet, it appeared to assure the frontal
      penetration of T-80U even for the squad-level firepower. Even though
      T-90 fared better, it is still not immune to it. Considering
      sufficient proliferation of this weapon and the fact that this is
      still a fairly light infantry weapon, it is the most dangerous
      adversary of modern Russian MBTs, and is a very disturbing
      development.
      Original reports that ATGM Kornet performance is severely degraded by
      ERA due to its peculiar order of internal components proved true as
      the ATGM with at least 100mm higher penetrating potential was not
      superior to a much lighter RPG-29.
      Report of Shtora-1 EOCMDAS trials is confusing. Being laser-guided,
      ATGM Kornet should not suffer any interference from Shtora as it only
      affects IR SACLOS ATGMs. Furthermore, ATGMs can only deviate to the
      left if the marker is set to the left of both emitters, which is
      hardly likely. It is probable, however unlikely, that it was caused
      by a sloppy work of removal the warhead which e.g. could cause a gyro
      cofusion.
    • ACARLG@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
        Alik

        Source of this information?

        Adam
      • alm@znet.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
          Oh, sorry about that. It came from the Chechnya Mujahideen.

          ACARLG@... wrote:

          > Alik
          >
          > Source of this information?
          >
          > Adam

          > Explore the popular High-End Room -
          > Go To Where The Smart People Shop-uBid.com
        • Alik S
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
            --- In chechnya-sl@egroups.com, ACARLG@A... wrote:
            > Alik
            >
            > Source of this information?
            >
            > Adam

            http://members.dencity.com/fofanov/Tanks/

            From what I heard here and there the tests were intended to determine
            vehicle's vulnerabilities prior to second invasion. One idea to
            explain these results was that RPG-29 allegedly has a tungsten shaped-
            charge liner as opposed to usual copper. The pix show penetrations on
            frontal armor and not the usual weak spots.

            Alik S.

            For detailed armor info see Intnl Journal of Impact Engineering.