Re: Times, leading article: RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

  • R k
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2000
      Mark wrote:
      >AS long as these two individuals remain at large, Russia cannot save face
      >or
      >justify the enormous cost in lives and money.

      I don't think that Russia any face to be saved anymore.

      Best Regards,
      Ahmed.
    • ivari
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2000
        On Sunday, April 02, 2000 at 11:13:51 AM, chechnya-sl@egroups.com wrote:

        > Norbert Strade wrote:
        >
        > "The only pressure that Putin will crack to is a defeat of his invasion forces in
        > Chechnya"
        >
        > The only way this can happen is if a guerilla war drag on for months, even years
        > as in 1996. That sounds almost as though you are almost advocating a
        > continuation of the war in order to get Putin to "crack". One thing that might
        > bring Russia to the negotiating table with Mashkadov is for Baseyev and Khattab to
        > turn themselves in to a neutral country for eventual trial under international
        > law. As long as these two individuals remain at large, Russia cannot save face or
        > justify the enormous cost in lives and money.
        >
        > Mark

        Why you would not propose them both to be joined by
        Mr. Putin and a dozen of his generals and colonels
        responsible for really serious violations of the
        international law, the tens of thousands of civilian
        lives, and the destruction of the whole country
        (both for doing this and by planning this) used
        to be a home of a million of people.
        Bassaev&Khattab's criminal record is unlikely
        to exceed several hundreds ofo lives under the
        circumstances which could well be seen as military
        action (let leave this to the judge to evaluate)
        and I don't think they did commit the war crimes
        according to the international law;
        their actions are of another
        nature, mainly against the stability of the
        Chechen state and maybe against specific citizens
        of the nearby regions. I don't mind they would be
        tried, as this would reveal a lot of hidden truth
        behind the conflict - I am sure not very convenient
        for the Russian side.
        I only would like the hypnosis of Russian large
        scale (pre)war propaganda would be subdued,
        and the Moscow influence on immoral, if not
        lawless decisions by Euro-American leaders -
        in the sense that they contradict the UN Charter -
        would be understood and neutralized before such
        a trial takes place. This is absolutely necessary
        to ensure justice instead of persecution based on
        prejudice. The situation is very complicated and
        delicate here; another, Chechen side
        practically have not been heard, and even given
        right to speak on the international level, so far!

        K. Ivari (ivari@...)

        | Get a free web page, e-mail account, calendar and more at |
        | FIBERIA http://www.fiberia.com |