AFP: Russia To Ask Interpol To Help Arrest Maskhadov

  • Kai Ivari
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
      [K.I. - Is Interpol now going to hunt political challengers to the
      Kremlin regime worlwide? I would rather suggest the German police
      to open a criminal case against Genosse Putin, for his decade
      of spying against the country and the collaboration with STASI. ]

      Russia To Ask Interpol To Help Arrest Maskhadov

      MOSCOW, Mar 1, 2000 -- (Agence France Presse) Russia will shortly
      ask Interpol to help arrest Chechen President Aslan Maskhadov, viewed
      as a criminal by Moscow, the Kremlin's top spokesman on the rebel
      republic said Wednesday.

      "Because a criminal case has been launched against Maskhadov, the
      prosecutor will present this matter to the interior ministry, which in
      turn will transfer the question to Interpol," Sergei Yastrzhembsky
      told Interfax.

      He said Moscow would present a list to the international police
      organization that includes some 100 names of Chechens whom Moscow
      regards as "terrorists."

      Maskhadov and three top Chechen warlords this week managed to escape
      a Russian assault on the last rebel mountain stronghold in Shatoi.

      Moscow reports say some of the leaders are seeking temporary shelter
      in the neighboring ex-Soviet republic of Georgia.

      On Tuesday, Azeri President Haydar Aliyev announced in Baku that
      rebels wounded in the campaign were being treated in his country, which
      shares a border with Chechnya's neighboring Russian republic of
      Dagestan.

      The Kremlin said it no longer recognized the legitimacy of Maskhadov,
      elected president in 1997, after he enlisted the help of leading
      warlords when Russia launched its ground assault on Chechnya on
      October 1.

      ((c) 2000 Agence France Presse)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
        Kai Ivari wrote:

        > [K.I. - Is Interpol now going to hunt political challengers to the
        > Kremlin regime worlwide?

        I don't think so. Such stories have been published before, but they boiled
        down to the fact that the Russian branch of Interpol had put some Chechen
        leaders on their own list. This doesn't automatically mean that the Interpol
        Centre in Paris will do the same. The Russian propaganda of course made it
        look like there was an international warrant out.

        Norbert