Russia-Germany military cooperation despite Chechnya

  • Sandro Mart
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2000
      Deutsche Presse-Agentur

      February 29, 2000
      Germany and Russia expand military cooperation

      Moscow

      Germany and Russia have agreed to expand military cooperation
      despite the
      controversy over the conflict in the breakaway republic of Chechnya.

      German Defence Minister Rudolf Scharping said Tuesday after a
      meeting in
      Moscow with his Russian counterpart Igor Sergeyev: "Our working
      programme
      signalises that we have the will to work together even though we have
      differences of opinion on some issues."

      Some 33 joint military and military-technical projects are planned
      for this year.

      It is Scharping's first visit to Russia since the end of the Kosovo
      conflict last year that caused a major setback in Moscow's relations
      with NATO member states.

      Earlier Tuesday Scharping met with Russian Foreign Minister Igor
      Ivanov to
      kick off two days of talks focused on European security issues.

      The Russian news agency Interfax quoted Ivanov as saying: "Even if
      there are still serious differences between us over a number of
      principal questions, that must not hinder dialogue - on the contrary,
      it should be conducted more
      actively."

      Scharping's visit coincided with the fall of the rebel bastion town
      of
      Shatoi after five months of fighting in Chechnya.

      The Russian military said it has broken the back of Islamic rebel
      forces in the mountain stronghold overnight after a siege lasting
      several days.

      By morning commanders claimed to have crushed rebel resistance
      there and in most of the heavily contested Argun gorge area.

      In his talks with Ivanov Scharping said he had stressed Western
      criticism of Moscow's military actions in Chechnya.

      No one was questioning Russia's right to defend its territorial
      integrity
      but the use of force had been disproportionate, Scharping said. dpa jp