RFE/RL,RIAN:Kadyrov has his ministers on the ropes

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2013
      Chechen Leader Has His Ministers On The Ropes

      RFE/RL April 23, 2013

      According to Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, there is no better place to resolve government issues than in the boxing ring.

      Because he is a fervent social media user, the public is well aware of Kadyrov's athletic physique. He is not one to shy away from posting photo after photo of his workouts.

      Perhaps this is why Kadyrov felt comfortable challenging one of his employees to a bout in the boxing ring.

      After visiting the Ministry of Culture and Sports on April 22, Kadyrov took to Instagram to express his dissatisfaction with the aesthetic appearance of the building, saying it was "deteriorating."

      He then promised that the building would undergo a complete overhaul within the next two weeks, but not before Salambek Ismailov, the minister of physical culture and sports, received his punishment.

      Wearing military cargo pants in a photo he posted to his Instagram account, Kadyrov can be seen throwing several punches at Ismailov while the Russian Minister for Labor and Social Protection Maksim Topilin and the Chechen Labor Minister Mohmad Akhmadov can be seen in a combo photo observing the match from the sidelines.

      The next day Kadyrov updated his followers on the boxing match.

      "During our dialogue -- more like sparring -- I softly and gently threw a right hook and with my left I explained to him using my fingers, or actually fists that he needs to work with his head."

      After initially saying that he would not let Ismailov wear head gear, Kadyrov changed his mind during the match.

      "After all, he has to work tomorrow," Kadyrov said.

      The Chechen leader also issued a warning directed at Labor Minister Akhmadov ahead of a meeting the two men were supposed to have the following day.

      "Whether Akhmadov will be punished in the ring or not will only be clear after tomorrow's meeting," Kadyrov wrote.

      A close Kremlin ally, Kadyrov has been accused of human rights violations, including personally torturing his opponents. Although his name did not appear on the public Magnitsky list which was initially published by the U.S earlier this month, Chechnya's Kadyrov's reportedly made it onto a classified list of people subject to similar sanctions.

      Earlier this year, Kadyrov also lost his temper in the middle of a heated soccer match between Terek Grozny and the visiting team, Tatarstan's Rubin Kazan. He hijacked the stadium's public-address system to shout:

      "Referee, sellout...jerk [or, more precisely, goat]."

      Tired of shouting, it now appears that Kadyrov has resorted to more "physical" reprimands.

      -- Deana Kjuka

      Chechen Leader `Punishes' Sports Minister in Boxing Bout

      MOSCOW, April 23 (RIA Novosti) - Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov squared off with republic's Sports Minister Salambek Ismailov in a boxing sparring due to latter's unsatisfactory work, the head of the republic wrote in his Instagram account.

      Kadyrov on Monday inspected the building of the Chechen Physical Culture and Sports Ministry and was unsatisfied with the current state of repair works in the facility.

      Kadyrov said he faced the minister on the boxing ring to "punish" Ismailov for his poor work.

      "In the course of our dialogue, or more accurately of our sparring, I have softly and unobtrusively explained that he must work with his head by delivering him hooks from left and right," Kadyrov wrote.

      Kadyrov added that he allowed the minister to wear a helmet during the bout "because he had to go to work tomorrow."

      Russian Labor Minister Maxim Topilin and his Chechen counterpart Mokhmad Akhmadov were witnesses to Kadyrov's boxing bout with Ismailov.