Re: Reuters: Litvinenko "naive" about alleged killer

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
      Litvinenko's Father Recants Charge
      The Moscow Times

      The father of FSB-officer-turned-Kremlin-critic Alexander Litvinenko called his son a "British spy" and said he no longer believes Russian authorities were responsible for his death.

      After his son's mysterious death of polonium poisoning in London in 2006, Valter Litvinenko had been outspoken regarding the Kremlin's supposed role in Alexander's death, a report on Channel One television said Thursday.

      In 2008, Valter emigrated with his wife to a small town in Italy, apparently to escape retaliation from the Russian government.

      But the father sent a letter last week to Channel One recanting his accusations and "asking Russia for forgiveness."

      He said he now believes his son Alexander was working for British intelligence.

      "I want to go home. Russian people ... no one needs us here," Valter said. The elder Litvinenko's wife died last year.

      "Forgive me, my motherland. And help me return to my land, [help] an old man," Valter said.

      Feeling lonely, home'sick and missing "the Mother Russia" he can say these words, even some Russian Gulag survivors, when staying on the foreign soil, eventually decided to go back to the Soviet Union. M.L.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
        On 03-02-2012 04:46, mariuslab2002 wrote:
        > Litvinenko's Father Recants Charge
        > The Moscow Times
        >
        > The father of FSB-officer-turned-Kremlin-critic Alexander Litvinenko called his son a "British spy" and said he no longer believes Russian authorities were responsible for his death.

        We aren't in a position to judge the situation in which Litvinenko's father made these statements, but whatever he is correct or wrong, one thing doesn't go away: the fact that Russian agents murdered a British citizen with a highly dangerous radioactive substance in the middle of the British capital, leaving a long, dirty-bomb-style trail through the city and half of Europe. That's an outrageous international crime, whose known perpetrators haven't been prosecuted due to a mixture of Russian impudence and British realpolitik.

        Norbert