Interfax: More "security forces" sent to Kabardino-Balkaria to stabilize situation

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      More security forces sent to Kabardino-Balkaria to stabilize situation

      NALCHIK. Feb 1 (Interfax) - More security forces have been sent to the
      Russian North Caucasus republic of Kabardino-Balkaria to help stabilize
      the situation there, Kabardian-Balkarian President Arsen Kanokov said at
      a press conference on Tuesday.

      "Additional forces numbering about 150 people have been sent for three
      months. We will see how efficient this is and, if need be, will make a
      decision," Kanokov said.

      The additional troops have been deployed in Nalchik and in the Elbrus,
      Baksan, and Chegem districts, he said.

      "I would like the people living in Kabardino-Balkaria to have no doubts
      that we will do all we can to reverse the situation," Kanokov said.

      "The earth will be burning under [the militants'] feet," he said.

      Kanokov also said self-defense units will be set up in various
      communities of Kabardino-Balkaria. "These should not be voluntary police
      helpers. There are other forms like extra-departmental guards or
      athletes. These should be people who will get paid and will be able to
      ensure security," Kanokov said.