CK: Gandaloev detained in Ingushetia tells about torture during arrest

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2010
      Caucasian Knot

      Gandaloev detained in Ingushetia tells about torture during arrest

      Jun 30 2010

      The relatives of Aslan and Mukhtar Gandaloevs detained on June 21 in the
      village of Sagopshi, Ingushetia, and suspected of exploding a shop in
      the same village have reported about an illegal search in their house.
      Witnesses claim that violence was applied during the arrest.

      The office of Ingushetia ombudsman has received a complaint from Bers
      Gandaloev, resident of the village of Sagopshi, to the effect that on
      June 21, early in the morning, officers of Malgobek district department
      of internal affairs forced into his house at 50, Gardanova Street,
      conducted a search and detained his relatives Mukhtar and Aslan
      Gandaloevs. The applicant claims that the detainees are possibly
      tortured by militiamen.

      On June 23, the office of the ombudsman conducted a field examination of
      the complaint. An employee of the office visited the Malgobek district
      militia pre-trial facility and interviewed each of the Gandaloev
      brothers. According to them, no illegal methods of investigation have
      been applied with regard to them. No traces of torture or beating have
      been found during a visual inspection (faces, necks and arms).

      On the same day, Mukhtar Gandaloev was released from custody, while
      Aslan Gandaloev was charged under articles 222 and 223 of RF CC (storage
      and illegal manufacture of arms and explosives).

      "They dragged me out of the bed, brought me into the yard, twisted my
      hands, put me against the wall, put a plastic bag over my head and stuck
      it with scotch tape. I could hardly hear anything then. We were taken to
      militia. They started interrogating me, mentioned some names, asked me
      where I had been during the explosion", says Mukhtar.

      Gandaloev claims that those who were detaining him spoke Russian without
      an accent, while those who were interrogating him in militia talked Ingush.

      Author: Lydia Mikhalchenko; Source: CK correspondent

      http://www.eng.kavkaz-uzel.ru/articles/13720/