Waynakh.com: Chechen Refugees Help the Flood Victims in Poland

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2010
      Chechen Refugees Help the Flood Victims in Poland

      Wednesday, 30 June 2010

      Gazeta Białystok (http://tinyurl.com/2uwlttt) reported that a group of
      Chechen refugees living in the Białystok Refugee Centers in Poland has
      returned from Sandomierz which was affected by heavy flood.

      Sandomierz, a town in the south-eastern of Poland, which lies on the
      Vistula River and whose right bank burst during floods there in May and
      June, was one of the most affected urban areas in Poland, with hundreds
      of people being forced to evacuate their homes.

      A few dozens Chechens went to Sandomierz two weeks ago to deal with the
      aftermath of the first flood. Once they got there, they could experience
      the flood personally. After two days of work, the second wave ravaged
      the city. Chechen refugees helped pack flood banks, unload goods and
      clean a destroyed city.

      The view of this beautiful city under water reminded some Chechens of
      their own homeland destroyed by war. And so they helped even more eagerly.

      28 years old Viskhan, a Chechen refugee, told us with emotion what he
      saw when he got to Sandomierz. “The water was huge; I saw a similar
      tragedy in Grozny. The most difficult moment was when we were helping
      clean the Center for Disabled Children. I felt very sorry for them.
      Everyone there welcomed us warmly and they thanked us for our help. Some
      cried,” recalls Viskhan.

      Viskhan adds that if there is need, he will call up his friends and they
      will go to Sandomierz again.

      Such a possibility may occur soon as there is a plan to send smaller
      groups to help. “We want those groups to be more mobile, that’s why we
      need additional transport, e.g. some buses. If there were any companies
      or organizations that want to contribute to this enterprise, we are
      open,” says Ms Katarzyna Potoniec from the Education and Creativity
      Foundation in Białystok (Fundacji Edukacji i Twórczości).

      www.waynakh.com

      http://tinyurl.com/2wnyxg2