RIAN: FSB chief certain of killed Said Buryatski's involvement in Nevsky Expres

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6 12:39 PM
      FSB chief certain of killed warlord's involvement in Nevsky Express blast

      KRASNAYA POLYANA (SOCHI), March 6 (RIA Novosti) Tikhomirov or Said Buryatsky, killed in a police sweep on Tuesday, was linked to the derailment of the luxury high-speed Nevsky Express in November 2009, the head of the Federal Security Service said on Saturday.

      "DNA tests of the killed militants have been carried out to establish linkage to the derailment of the Nevsky Express in November 2009. These materials give ground to assume that it was they who took part in this attack," Alexander Bortnikov said.

      Tikhomirov and five other militants were killed during a special operation on Tuesday in the southern Russian republic of Ingushetia.

      Bortnikov said that police found evidence confirming that the militants were linked to the Nevsky Express derailment. They also find bomb-making materials identical to those used in a previous attack on another Nevsky Express luxury train in 2007.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8 8:59 AM
        I think it's necessary to recall the circumstances of the train
        derailment last November. As happens so often in the world of Russian
        propaganda, the first images from the scene didn't show any signs of a
        bomb explosion, just some damage to the tracks which were in accordance
        with the results (not the causes) of a derailment. Also, the first
        witness accounts described a simple accident. Of course most Russian
        media and officials automatically blamed the spectre of "Wahhabism".
        Just like they did with a similar derailment in 2007, which most likely
        was a provocation.
        It took the Russian propaganda half a day to come up with new video
        footage showing greater damage at a site that was clearly different from
        the scenery showed earlier. Then the witness accounts about an
        "explosion" began to trickle in. As usual, the western news agencies and
        media adopted this propaganda version without any form of
        cross-checking. It didn't even bother them that some of the more serious
        Russian media, like the St. Petersburg Times, themselves questioned the
        official narrative about an act of terrorism (cf. #58444).
        In the next round, it took the usual "responsibility takers" from the
        "emirate" several more days to make their claim to the event. First by
        Mr. Tikhomirov, then by Dokka Umarov himself. People who routinely claim
        responsibility for every major accident caused by the breakdown of
        Russia's infrastructure. And thus the circle was closed. One could of
        course ask Mr. Umarov in which way the destruction of a few metres of
        railway tracks somewhere in Russia and the death of some random
        civilians is thought to advance the liberation of the North Caucasus,
        but then, the "emirate" propaganda doesn't direct itself to people prone
        to rational thinking anyway.

        Still, nobody has come up with any hard evidence that there was an
        explosion in the first place, or why the first and authentic footage and
        the first witness accounts should be ignored. Or quite generally, why
        anyone should trust the terror stories spread by the Russian
        "authorities" and their black operations, which have lied to the public
        countless times.
        As we can see in the western media treatment of the death of Aleksandr
        Tikhomirov, the propaganda story about "Wahhabite terror" behind the
        Neva Express derailment has now achieved "factual" status. But that
        doesn't make it a fact.

        Norbert