RIAN: Avenue named after Putin appears in Chechen capital

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
      Avenue named after Putin appears in Chechen capital
      05/ 10/ 2008

      GROZNY, October 5 (RIA Novosti) - An avenue in the center of the
      Chechen capital was renamed Sunday in honor of Russian Prime Minister
      Vladimir Putin.

      Speaking at the opening ceremony, Chechnya's pro-Moscow leader Ramzan
      Kadyrov said he was sure that 99% of the Chechen population trusted
      Putin and the Russian leadership.

      "As a sign of the Chechen people's gratitude, the Victory Avenue will
      now be renamed after the national leader - Vladimir Putin. This is our
      tribute to the person who has done so much for our country and for all
      of us," Kadyrov said.

      Sunday's renaming of the avenue came to coincide with a local holiday
      marking 420 years of friendship between the Chechen and Russian peoples.

      Putin, who was prime minister under the late former president, Boris
      Yeltsin, ordered federal troops into the Chechen Republic in 1999,
      following a large-scale attack by Chechen militants in the neighboring
      Russian republic of Daghestan, and a series of bombing attacks in
      Moscow and other Russian cities allegedly launched from Chechnya.

      Putin's tough handling of the conflict in Chechnya earned him
      popularity throughout Russia. He was elected president in March 2000
      after Yeltsin had stepped down in late 1999.

      Although large-scale military operations are over in Chechnya, the
      republic and neighboring regions are still plagued by raids on federal
      troops and pro-Kremlin police and authorities.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2008
        The Moscow Times
        Street in Grozny Named After Putin

        By Francesca Mereu / Staff Writer

        Vladimir Putin's portrait dominated government offices during the
        eight years of his presidency, and in a sign that his power is not
        winding down, the influential prime minister has been honored with a
        street named after him -- an initiative he coldly accepted, Putin's
        spokesman said Monday.

        In a ceremony marking 420 years of Russian and Chechen relations,
        Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov on Sunday renamed Prospekt Pobedy,
        the main street of Grozny, Prospekt Putina, or Putin's Avenue.

        "As a Chechen and as a Muslim, I'm ready, if needed, to die for
        Vladimir Putin," Kadyrov said during the ceremony, Interfax reported.
        "Thanks to this man, we have reached this day when Chechnya is ruled
        by peace and tranquility."

        Vladimir Ustinov, presidential envoy to the Southern Federal District,
        and State Duma deputies, as well as thousands of students and
        Chechens, attended the event, Interfax reported.

        "Terrorists from 60 countries came to Chechnya not to make it an
        independent country, but to transform it into a springboard for
        destroying Russia. They didn't succeed thanks to Putin's will and
        resolve," Kadyrov said.

        After a series explosions hit four apartment blocks in the cities of
        Buinaksk, Moscow and Volgodonsk in September 1999, killing nearly 300
        and injuring more than 550, then-Prime Minister Putin embarked on the
        second Chechen war, which boosted his popularity and helped him win
        the presidential election in 2000.

        In March 2007, Putin nominated Kadyrov to the Chechen presidency.

        Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, said Putin could not stop regional
        leaders from naming streets after him or people from hanging his
        portrait on their walls, but the prime minister does not like this way
        of showing affection for him.

        "These are decision made by the regional leaders," Peskov said. "It is
        their right [to make them]. They don't need to ask [Putin] for
        permission."

        Federal law holds that streets can be named after someone only 10
        years after the person has died, but the law is often ignored. In
        August, the Moscow street Bolshaya Kommunisticheskaya Ulitsa was
        renamed Ulitsa Solzhenitsyna, to honor the memory of Nobel laureate
        Alexander Solzhenitsyn, who died Aug. 3.

        Duma deputies from the United Russia majority voted to lift the
        10-year provision if a presidential decree is signed calling for
        someone to be recognized, and President Dmitry Medvedev urged Moscow
        to name a street after Solzhenitsyn in a decree issued three days later.

        Moscow authorities previously violated the law by renaming a street
        after slain Chechen President Akhmad Kadyrov, Ramzan Kadyrov's father.

        "This is a sign of gratitude for what Putin has done in Chechnya,"
        said Kadyrov's adviser, Timur Aliyev. "The situation is stable, and
        the city is developing."

        Political analyst Yury Korgunyuk said that by naming the main street
        of Grozny after Putin, Kadyrov was emphasizing that he is Putin's ally
        and that he would be loyal to him and not to Medvedev.

        Before Medvedev assumed the presidency, Kadyrov had sworn loyalty to
        Putin, but he never repeated it after the inauguration to avoid
        challenging Medvedev, Korgunyuk said.