PW: The bloodiest battle of the second Chechen war

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2008
      March 5th 2008 · Prague Watchdog

      The bloodiest battle of the second Chechen war

      By Ramzan Akhmadov

      In early March 2000 a village in the south-west of the Chechen Republic
      saw some of the bloodiest combat in the whole of the two Chechen wars.
      Several detachments of Chechen guerrillas under the command of the
      well-known field commander Ruslan (Khamzat) Gelayev engaged with the
      Russian federal forces, which were far superior to their units, in more
      than two weeks of fighting.

      The bloody massacre in Gelayev’s home village, Saadi-Kotar, was
      effectively the end of large-scale hostilities on the republic’s
      territory. And some observers believe that it was here for the first
      time that a mass surrender of Chechen guerrillas took place, after they
      were promised an amnesty by the federal command.

      In spite of the fact that after almost continuous bombing coupled with
      rocket, artillery, flamethrower and tank fire, the village was then
      subjected to repeated "mop-ups", several people managed to survive under
      the ruins of the houses. Here is the story of one of them, whom we shall
      call Aslan:

      "The soldiers completely blocked off the village, and they even kept
      civilians on the outskirts for several days, including us, as a kind of
      human shields. Yet most of the people who wanted to leave the surrounded
      village were women, children, and the elderly. There were constant
      artillery strikes and air raids, and the soldiers were using rockets and
      heavy Buratino flamethrowers. They also used the so-called ‘Gorynych
      Snake’, which fires a detonating cord that envelops everything around
      it. Not only the houses were on fire, but the ground was, too," Aslan
      continues. "It simply can’t be described in words."

      "We were about a hundred metres from the cellar when there was suddenly
      a kind of hissing sound. Murad said to me: ‘Aslan, I think they (the
      Russians) have used gas!’ But then we realized we were wrong. It wasn’t
      gas, it was a flamethrower – a Buratino. Several metres away from us a
      young guy was crouching on all fours staring at us, his eyes wide with
      pain and horror. He burned to death in front of us. And there was
      nothing we could do. Everyone who was in that cellar was burned alive.
      There is only one word for what happened that day in Saadi-Kotar – it
      was a massacre. A real hell on earth."

      "I’ve been told that a few other people also managed to survive. They
      managed to get out of the village after the Russian troops seized it.
      It’s said that one or two of the few dozen men who gave themselves up
      under the guarantee of the Russian generals remained alive. Some were
      brutally murdered, while the rest were ‘amnestied’, but some of them
      also disappeared in unexplained circumstances,” Aslan says.

      The fighting in the village of Saadi-Kotar which began on March 5, 2000
      did not end until the latter part of the month. The guerrillas who were
      killed in combat were later buried at cemeteries in neighbouring
      villages. Many of the bodies were unidentified, because they had been
      mutilated beyond recognition. Eyewitnesses have told of corpses with
      severed ears and noses, gouged-out eyes and severed limbs. But in the
      official reports of federal "victories” such details of the “war against
      terror” were never mentioned.

      The full version of this story is available in Russian.

      (Translation by DM)

      http://www.watchdog.cz/?show=000000-000005-000004-000158&lang=1