Re: IWPR:Ingushetia Crisis Deepens

  • sueannjane
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2008
      Thanks, Norbert. I knew about the confusion and misnomers regarding
      the links made between this name and Beslan. Just goes to show how
      difficult it is to keep track of who is who and who says who is who.
      It's why Anna Stepanovna was so great in her meticulous work.

      Sue-Ann

      --- In chechnya-sl@yahoogroups.com, Norbert Strade <nost@...> wrote:

      > Dear Sue-Ann,
      >
      > The Magomed Yevloyev (or Evloev) who runs "Ingushetia.ru" has
      nothing to
      > do with Beslan. The name is quite common in the area.
      >
      > Btw., there is a lot of confusion who that "Magas" actually is or
      was.
      > At first, one of the leaders of the hostage-takers, who called
      himself
      > "Magas", was identified as Magomed Yevloyev by the Russian side. A
      > Magomed Yevloyev, who also went under the nom de
      guerre "Assadulla", had
      > taken part in Basayev's attack on Nazran earlier in 2004. The
      Russian
      > officials declared that "Magas"/Yevloyev was among the killed
      > hostage-takers. Nevertheless, there was no convincing
      identification of
      > Yevloyev among the found bodies. At some point the Russian
      authorities
      > began to claim that "Magas" actually wasn't Yevloyev, but one Ali
      > Taziyev. In 2006, it was claimed that said Taziyev had been killed
      in an
      > explosion together with Basayev. In a parallel world, someone with
      the
      > nom de guerre "Magas" surfaced as the "amir" of the Ingush
      mujahedeen.
      > This Magas is sometimes identified as Magomed Yevloyev, sometimes
      as Ali
      > Taziyev. In official decrees by former Chechen President Umarov,
      as well
      > as in emirate pamphlets and in Kavkaz-Center stories, "Magas" is
      > consequently identified as *Ahmed* Yevloyev.
      > Everything around these names has been completely obfuscated.
      Ahmed
      > Yevloyev is certainly a real person. Maybe the Russian media are
      > confusing him with Magomed Yevloyev, who might be a partly virtual
      > figure, created over the Magomed Yevloyev / Assadulla, who took
      part in
      > the mentioned Nazran raid, and who was connected with Beslan by
      Russian
      > officials in their attempt to present some credible names.
      >
      > A search of the list archive for e.g. "Magas" and "Yevloyev" (or
      > Evloyev, Evloev etc.) will result in a large number of
      contradicting
      > stories.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Norbert
      >

      > sueannjane wrote:
      > > I just have to ask - surely the opposition leader Magomed
      Yevloyev